Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TV over Mantel

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:15 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 816 Total Views

Ok so my husband has informed me that he is taking over my mantel with a flat screen TV after the INome Tax comes in. So please show me your mantels with your tv's over them so I can get a visual on how to decorate it once he hangs up his TV....

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Well I got an electric fireplace to go under the TV in my bedroom.  I just got both for Christmas so I hadn't had the opportunity to hide the cables or anything.  I'd like to find a rectangular box to put the Direct TV and DVD player inside, to hide it a little from view.

Jacemom
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Thank you!!! I know I do not want the DVD and Direct TV box to be the focal point of my mantel

GOBryan
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM

I agree but aside from building a box for it, how else can it be hidden??.. One needs to have access to the sensor on the boxes for the remotes to work..

Quoting Jacemom:

Thank you!!! I know I do not want the DVD and Direct TV box to be the focal point of my mantel

wickedfiress
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:46 AM

A friend of mine found a basket at Hobby Lobby and cut small holes in it to allow for the wires to come out the back and the sensor to be exposed. Just becareful that you don't cover the vents. Those boxes can get REALLY hot.

~It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.~
GOBryan
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Quoting wickedfiress:

A friend of mine found a basket at Hobby Lobby and cut small holes in it to allow for the wires to come out the back and the sensor to be exposed. Just becareful that you don't cover the vents. Those boxes can get REALLY hot.

That's why I figured that a rectangular box with no backing would be a good alternative. 

I don't know how a basket would work exactly..  Sounds creative though.

wickedfiress
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Quoting GOBryan:

Quoting wickedfiress:

That's why I figured that a rectangular box with no backing would be a good alternative. 

I don't know how a basket would work exactly..  Sounds creative though.

Its a large rectanglar shallow basket and the cable box fits down inside it.

I'll see if she'll email me a pic. She's in Ohio and I'm in Texas. : )

~It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.~
wickedfiress
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:00 AM

It looks kind of like this:

Brianneb79
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Or maybe something like this. Doesn't the front need to be open for your remote to work? This is a wall shelf but it's flat so it could sit on top of the mantel couldn't it? It doesn't completely hide it but it could help it look a little nicer. I found it at target.com Maybe you could add something to the front that will still allow your remote to work. Like a wicker screen or something?

rue381
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Here is mine..I don't feel I have ever decorated around it...I just sort of thru stuff up there that was laying around the house because I was never sure what to do with it.

GOBryan
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM

That's something like what I have in mind but in a dark wood to match my mantel.

Quoting Brianneb79:

Or maybe something like this. Doesn't the front need to be open for your remote to work? This is a wall shelf but it's flat so it could sit on top of the mantel couldn't it? It doesn't completely hide it but it could help it look a little nicer. I found it at target.com Maybe you could add something to the front that will still allow your remote to work. Like a wicker screen or something?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)