Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to mix Red and green and not be Christmasy

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 16361 Total Views

I want to paint an accent wall in my bedroom. I love the color red, but I have a green quilt (lots of different shades of green) and deep rich green curtains. Is there a shade of red (in your humble opinion) that would be vibrant and yet not make me think I hear Jingle Bells all year long.

I do have dark wood furniture. The rest of the room is painted a nice beige which I think I will keep. It's just the mixing of red and green that I am puzzled over.

Thanks for all your help!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I could only find these 2 pictures that looked nice.  I do like the 2nd picture because it brings to shades of green, so then it wontl ook like christmas, and maybe if you also do different shades of red too.

carrie_grace
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:39 PM

okay this pic is not exactly the color combination you were asking for but i am posting it to illustrate an idea.

you could do a red accent wall behind your bed and paint the other walls a light beige or even a very pale green that coordinates withe your comforter.  add other red accents around the room to tie it all together. 

It won't look christmasy if you pay attentions to the hues of red and green you use.

Brianneb79
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:46 PM

In my opinion a burnt orange or terra cotta shade would probably look nicer. I would need to see a picture to know for sure. If you still prefer red .... I'd go with one that has a bit of orange or brown in it. That way it won't look too much like Christmas. Here is a pic with green and orange ...

mrs_vinita
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM

totally off topic, but I love that bedroom!! I love burnt orange and we were going to do it in our living room but due to other color changes through out the house have decided not to... maybe I'll move it to the bedroom.

Quoting carrie_grace:

okay this pic is not exactly the color combination you were asking for but i am posting it to illustrate an idea.

you could do a red accent wall behind your bed and paint the other walls a light beige or even a very pale green that coordinates withe your comforter.  add other red accents around the room to tie it all together. 

It won't look christmasy if you pay attentions to the hues of red and green you use.

jigsaw ribbon Jenn mom to   typing

Cassie           &           Hudson

carrie_grace
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM

love this pic... it is so rich and warm!

Quoting Brianneb79:

In my opinion a burnt orange or terra cotta shade would probably look nicer. I would need to see a picture to know for sure. If you still prefer red .... I'd go with one that has a bit of orange or brown in it. That way it won't look too much like Christmas. Here is a pic with green and orange ...

wickedfiress
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:08 PM

It depends on the red and green you choose. The existing green you have may not work.

Everything I found that had red and green together also had gold.

~It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.~
Mandalynn252
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Thanks for everyone's ideas. I like the Terra Cotta or mixing gold with them. I will probably go look at paint colors soon. Keep the ideas coming. I know I picked two of the more challenging colors out there.

lgroves
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I'm planning to do the dining room in my next house in red and green.  For inspiration, I used these dishes:

Better Homes and Gardens® Tuscan Retreat 16-Piece Dinnerware Set

I know it's not the bedroom, but maybe it will give you an example how to use the colors together.

old-house2.jpg old house image by kayokayoCentury Old Homes
Do you like old houses?  Do you happen to live in one?  Join the group!  It's a place to share pictures, tell stories about renovations, and get ideas for your home.  Just click on the house:)

Brianneb79
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I bought this for my kitchen to go by our back door and our door to the garage. My living room and kitchen will be in these colors. I am going to paint our kitchen the lighter green color and our living room the golden yellow. The rug is just a bit darker than the picture. Maybe you can get an idea from it?

Brianneb79
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I like it too! I will have similar colors in a couple of rooms in my house.

Quoting carrie_grace:

love this pic... it is so rich and warm!

Quoting Brianneb79:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)