Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to buy BEFORE you buy!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 314 Total Views

What are some things that you can buy before you buy a home?

I have never owned a home, but plan to in the very near future.  I love to shop for interior design stuff, but right now I'm in a rental.  I hate to spend money on pieces that eventually I will not use.

So, can you all suggest some artwork, pieces of furniture, or just everyday items that are good to buy even before you make that permanent purchase?? I have already bought a bookshelf and entertainment center along with a brand new bedroom suite.  I will try to find some pics.  I still need a kitchen table and bunk beds for the boys.  Should I wait until I buy to make anymore large purchases??

Sorry so many questions... hopefully we will start the homebuying process very soon!!

- A 25 year old full time college student 5 months away from graduating college, married 5 1/2 years to DJ, and a proud mommy to two adorable little boys, Blaze (5) and Ace (3).

*Ashley*
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
christalo
by Member on Mar. 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM

I personally would try to wait on large expensive items that you can wait for.  Moving large pieces inevidably causes a dent or scratch and I think my daughters bunk bed was more sturdy the first time we put it together. Plus, who wants to move the heavy stuff twice if you don't have to. lol

rayelinsragz
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:23 AM
I agree to wait. Unless you come across an incredible deal or you find something you can't live without I would wait. I just moved in somewhere and there are so many things I wish I had gotten that I had seen over the last year. But if I had bought it all I would have had all this extra baggage. Starting from scratch is hard but it's the best because you can start decorating from the space you have rather than the items you own. Besides most people like to repaint when they move into a new home and this is a much easier task without big pieces sitting around that can get ruined.
GOBryan
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:38 AM

I wouldn't buy furniture because when you do buya home the furniture may not fit the room to scale or if you buy a particular kind of home, the furniture may possibly not go with the architecture of the home.

You can always buy some quality art but I wouldn't go overboard. If you find something you're in love with and will fit any size /style room, then you may wish to make the purchase but waiting will be your best option.

coffeeluvnmom
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I agree with this 100%. Some friends of ours bought a beautiful and huge sectional with recliners and the whole bit before they bought there house......it makes there living room look like a closet because it is such a tight fit..

As for the art work I would wait on that as well, you never know what colors you are going to be feeling in your new space so buying something at fist with the style of the home is easiest after you buy the house.

I would buy cleaning supplies, some blinds (in neuteral colors), garden hoses and all of those types of necessities. They are great to have on move in day.

Quoting GOBryan:

I wouldn't buy furniture because when you do buya home the furniture may not fit the room to scale or if you buy a particular kind of home, the furniture may possibly not go with the architecture of the home.

You can always buy some quality art but I wouldn't go overboard. If you find something you're in love with and will fit any size /style room, then you may wish to make the purchase but waiting will be your best option.

MelindaD
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Ok so I can imagine you're excited but I have to agree with the waiting to buy the furniture, BUT you can really have some fun before you buy that house. Buy yourself a binder and tabs label for different rooms and clip pics, color swatches, art work. You can browse and gather your ideas until you have the house and have a great starting point.

I do this on the computer in a program called one note that I LOVE

N.C. Moms come check out my group  butterfly

http://www.cafemom.com/group/NCMommies

GOBryan
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Good idea on the cleaning supplies, however, you need to know measurements for blinds and the house may already bring those things.

When I moved into my house 3 years ago, it had already been remodelled and all the blinds and curtains came with the house. All the lighting fixtures, etc.  All I had to do was move in and luckily, my furniture fit perfectly as if it were made for this house. My other home was smaller at around 1600 sq ft and this one is 2500 sq ft with bigger living areas; but that's not always the case, so becareful that you don't buy something that just won't fit later on.

The cleaning supply idea may not be as much fun as the other stuff but they will be a necessity and can get you started. You can also buy little items like candles, etc.. Just don't go crazy because you may not have a place for things later on.

Quoting coffeeluvnmom:

I agree with this 100%. Some friends of ours bought a beautiful and huge sectional with recliners and the whole bit before they bought there house......it makes there living room look like a closet because it is such a tight fit..

As for the art work I would wait on that as well, you never know what colors you are going to be feeling in your new space so buying something at fist with the style of the home is easiest after you buy the house.

I would buy cleaning supplies, some blinds (in neuteral colors), garden hoses and all of those types of necessities. They are great to have on move in day.

MommylovesAbby
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 5:06 PM

WAIT WAIT WAIT....I have owned 4 homes in the past 8 years and it's best to wait. Looking at a house and then actually living in that space is 2 different things. You will have a different outlook once you move in. I went out and bought tons of stuff stuff and then got in the house and didn't know what to do with it! Good luck and have fun!

Kim   www.scentsy.com/kreamer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)