• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas/thoughts please

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:53 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 522 Total Views

Here are some pics of my half bath.  As you can see it's small.  I believe it was once a closet under the steps.  I want to paint the paneling (may even just rip it out, not sure though) and put up border (one of the two pictured below). 

I'm looking for color ideas to go with the border and which you'd prefer.

Also, I am thinking of removing the medicine cabinet and replacing with just a mirror and a nice light fixture for better lighting.

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jandacuervo
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I hate wood paneling. Yuck! Not too fond of either borders, but if I had to choose I'd select the first one. I like the country charm of the border but it just doesn't do anything for me, and I only like the brightness of colors for the second. JMO. Hope you have fun.

Bathonista1
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I realize a lot of ideas in the following link look pretty pricey, but they are worth looking at if you want some inspiration for small bathroom spaces: http://ibaths.com/design/nkba-award-winners/art-deco-powder-room.aspx

jennmarie77
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Quoting Bathonista1:

I realize a lot of ideas in the following link look pretty pricey, but they are worth looking at if you want some inspiration for small bathroom spaces: http://ibaths.com/design/nkba-award-winners/art-deco-powder-room.aspx

Thanks for the link, however none of those are my style.  I think they look nice but not something I would do in my own home.  I'm pretty basic with what I like.

QuiltLover
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I think it would look good to use the tan color and even crackle one wall or even half way . If you have plenty of light in the small space, you could even do one accent wall, burgundy, and the others with the tan. But I like the crackle look and i love country so JMO. Good luck and let us know what you did.

kendra61780
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I think the first border would look good in this bathroom. You could keep the paneling and paint it a cream color or do a crackle finish like the border. It would look good with the country bathroom. I like your idea of new mirror and light fixture it will make a huge difference. Good luck......and have fun!!

kendra61780
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I had the same idea at the same time..haha! I guess great minds do think a like

Quoting QuiltLover:

I think it would look good to use the tan color and even crackle one wall or even half way . If you have plenty of light in the small space, you could even do one accent wall, burgundy, and the others with the tan. But I like the crackle look and i love country so JMO. Good luck and let us know what you did.

jennmarie77
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I've never done crackle on a wall before.  How involved is it to do?  I do like the idea though.  Would I do it on the big wall or could  I do it on all the walls?  I like the idea.  I actually bought that top border for the bathroom.  I found it at Lowe's when they clearanced out all their borders for a buck and they only had one so I thought I'd use it in the bathroom.  It's the only room I could do it in and have enough. 

grngoddess
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Do you live in a split level?  Your bathroom reminds me alot of mine before we remodeled it.  We didn't have paneling but if you like the country or primitive look, you could definitely paint it and make it look like old barn siding.  I would also take the medicine cabinet down and put a hanging mirror.  Heres a few pics of my half bath.  I did this whole bathroom with a budget of $200.  I just spent alot of time looking at flea markets and online deals and the floor is a peel and stick that I found at a dollar store.  We recently had water damage to the ceiling that I haven't had time to fix.  I hope these help alittle.

We're remodeling the living room so the poor bathroom has a layer of dust on it!

jennmarie77
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:13 PM

To the PP, nope, we live in a traditional 2 story, I think your bathroom is actually bigger than mine.  I actually have a mirror I am thinking of using.  I just need to repaint it, but that won't take much time/effort to do.  I do want to get a new toilet, so other than that, paint and a new light fixture, it shouldn't cost me much to do it.  I do need to get a  covered basket for the back of the toilet for um personal things ;)

I do like your bathroom though, thanks for posting pics.

Kathleen70
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I really like the first border and agree it would look awesome with crackle paint on the paneling.   While growing up my parents house was all paneling and it always reminds me of home.  We just painted over it in the living room in a light brown and it really looks good. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)