• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with my Master Bedroom!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 356 Total Views

Ok! We are switching bedrooms with our kids and we get the smaller one. I am trying to find a headboard for my queen sized bed. I like those tufted ones but am a bit confused about what colour i should get it in. I also am not sure if it would work with the 2 pieces of furniture i am keeping! I like both Traditional and Contemprary things!

I am posting pics of the 2 pieces of furniture i have. i am really confused about the headboard, the paint colour of the bedroom and the bed set. I will probably have space for 1 bedside table.

Please HELP!

!

in loveice creamboy on a swing

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
GOBryan
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I'd say go with black for the headboard and a yellow shade in wall coloring based on the furniture you're showing us as keepers.  

jjibin
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:43 AM

Would a beige headboard really clash? also what type of yellow?  also if i just kept 1 of the 2 pieces, what would u suggest?

GOBryan
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Beige would not clash but I don't think it will pop, especially if you paint the room yellow.

You could use a mustard yellow but look at the shades and decide which one suits you best. If you have an inspiration piece with yellow in it, you might want to match it.

I probably would not go too light in the shade.

Quoting jjibin:

Would a beige headboard really clash? also what type of yellow?  also if i just kept 1 of the 2 pieces, what would u suggest?

mommy1st
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Since you like both contemporary and traditional things, why not consider painting the furniture pieces you're keeping?  i think they  might look good white.  that way, they would still be traditional pieces, but with an updated look.  This would also give you a chance to select any paint color you want w/out having to worry about the pieces clashing.  GL!

Hyggemom
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Keep the Chinese style dresser.  Ethnic inspire furniture is very "in" right now.  And I agree with the above post that paint can make a big difference.  You might consider painting the desk black to make it work with the dresser and make it more contemporary.  I think your carpet is gray from what I can see in the pictures.  I would suggest perhaps giving your wallls a fresh coat of clean white paint to enlarge and freshen the room, then perhaps a soft charcoal gray accent wall behind the bed.  (This would look gorgeous with your beautiful bedspread too)Then for a headboard you could use anything...a collection of round mirrors, stained reclaimed lumber ,or you could construct one with foam and plywood and a fabric of your choice.  You could even group a collection of pictures you already own or print out some black and whites of your family favorites and frame them in matching frames to create a "headboard". 

Change out those red drapes for either a sheer white or  bamboo blinds. 

You'll have a bright, modern, sophisticated room for the cost of paint and a window treatment.

If you have any questions feel free to email me e.alexander@hyggeinteriors.com

Good luck,

Libby

hyggeinteriors.com

Get Hygge With It.

jjibin
by Member on Apr. 10, 2009 at 11:49 AM

thanks everyone! I am def. getting rid of those hideous curtains...Actually i am switching bedrooms with the kids and am getting rid of all the furniture except for the desk and the chest...However, the biggest challenge i'm facing is the kid's room is small and i am reconsidering keeping both the pieces in the bedroom...

I think i'll keep the chest inside the linen closet for extra storage since i love it too much to just discard it...I am keeping the desk in the bedroom...I hope it'll work bcoz it is still verty traditional and most tufted headborads are not in my price range...well atleast the ones i like.

This is what i'm thinking...i think i'll go with an ikea platform bed and chests...I'll post pics and please tell me if it looks outrageous...I love a duvet set at pottery barn and it's yellow toille...i'm thinking that way i cud combine contemprary and traditional...

I'm attaching pics of the furniture i'm looking at and the bed cover and also the kids's bedroom that i'll be moving in soon...maybe u can give me more ideas once u see the pics! Thanks!

The bed is the Malm collection at Ikea...I like it in black but am still confused... here's link...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/07468/

I'm thinking of getting a really tall chest and a medium chest and put them together as a step! Please let me know if u think i've lost it!

The following are pics of the kids' cureent bedroom where i'll be moving soon!

This is the roomfrom the entrance...

My bed will be most likely on the same wall as the kid's bed...the door is the main entrance into the room..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)