Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where can I find more room for my vacuum and steam cleaner?

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:28 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 422 Total Views

For anyone with lack of closets, where do you store yours or find more room to put one? Any ideas?

by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whoneedssleep
by New Member on May. 8, 2009 at 12:45 AM

i have room for the vacuum in my bedroom. it's not like company goes in there so nobody ever sees it.

Rachie7987
by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:51 AM

I'm in the same boat you are....

We just bought a house. Went from a huge house we were renting with lots of closets and storage space to a house we bought with no spare closet or storage space. Right now, my steam cleaner is sitting in our 'junk room' (which needs to be turned into a nursery by Aug). My vacuum is in my bedroom because that's the only room that has carpets.

I'm thinking about clearing out our hall (coat) closet and getting it organized. Getting clear shoe storage boxes for the shoes at the bottom. Stacking them on the sides. Then organizing the top rack (mostly winter gloves and hats) into more clear boxes and labeling them. That should clear up enough room for both the steamcleaner and vacuum (hopefully!).

Good luck! If you find a good solution, let me know!

rasbneon
by Member on May. 8, 2009 at 1:03 AM

We have the same problem too.  We do have an upstairs closet that would probably fit at least one of them if we reorganized it but with my son I have to vacuum downstairs so much it would be impractical to be constantly carrying the vacuum up and down stairs.  Right now they kind of get stashed wherever we can find the space.  Usually that is in the laundry room, bathroom, our bedroom, the corner of the dining room or sometimes the garage.  No matter where they are at least one of them always seems to be in the way.

Rachael.png picture by TNDGC

bablondie
by on May. 8, 2009 at 5:29 PM

I have 3 floors, only 1 closet on the 2nd and 3rd floors for coats/games/shoes and stuff.

So I could put a big plastic armoire in the garage, I suppose for coats???? and then free up the only small closet on the 2nd floor for the vac and steam cleaner?

like this for the garage (but even our garage lacks space, something I'm going to work on this year):

something sorta like this that I could push up against the garage wall by our front door?

Quoting Rachie7987:

I'm in the same boat you are....

We just bought a house. Went from a huge house we were renting with lots of closets and storage space to a house we bought with no spare closet or storage space. Right now, my steam cleaner is sitting in our 'junk room' (which needs to be turned into a nursery by Aug). My vacuum is in my bedroom because that's the only room that has carpets.

I'm thinking about clearing out our hall (coat) closet and getting it organized. Getting clear shoe storage boxes for the shoes at the bottom. Stacking them on the sides. Then organizing the top rack (mostly winter gloves and hats) into more clear boxes and labeling them. That should clear up enough room for both the steamcleaner and vacuum (hopefully!).

Good luck! If you find a good solution, let me know!

Pigsamurai
by Member on May. 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I just stick them in an inconspicuous corner of my son's room/office/guest room lol everything gets put in there it seems :P

JsMomma
by Member on May. 10, 2009 at 1:45 AM

Do you have a laundry room? That is where I put mine. I want my DH to buy me something like this. I think he can actually make something similar. They sell all the parts and it is cheaper. So that they are hidden.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday PicLilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

bablondie
by on May. 10, 2009 at 1:37 PM

No, it's a laundry "closet" and only fits our giant washer/dryer. So laundry piles up in our upstairs hall alot (which I can't stand!!!). When I move, it's going to have to have a laundry ROOM and bigger kitchen and more closet space and so on. lol.

It's so annoying to not have space to store the vac and steam cleaner.

one 1st floor we have the garage, no closets, so garage stuff and cars go in there.

2nd floor: small kitchen, small dining room, small bathroom, office/play room and living room and 1 small coat closet.

3rd floor: 2 bedrooms, closets for clothes, 1 hall closet, and laundry closet and 2 full bathrooms. I could fit 1 vac in the upstairs game closet, but the steam cleaner would still not have a space (maybe my closet in my bedroom?).

Quoting JsMomma:

Do you have a laundry room? That is where I put mine. I want my DH to buy me something like this. I think he can actually make something similar. They sell all the parts and it is cheaper. So that they are hidden.

honeyb3
by on May. 10, 2009 at 1:44 PM

These days we store the vacuum in the laundry room and the steam cleaner in the spare room/office.

When we lived in a townhouse they were usually in the basement or entrance hall closet.

When we lived in an apartment. I stuck the vacuum cleaner in a (hopefully) unnoticeable corner and only ever rented steam cleaners, so I never needed to store one. 

designlady
by on May. 10, 2009 at 6:18 PM

My coat closet is located by the garage door so that is where I store mine at. 

takethetime
by Member on May. 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I don't have a lot of closet space and have no entry way closet. We keep our vacuum cleaner in the pantry, but I loved the earlier idea of a plastic armoire. It would be perfect in our basement.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)