Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP MY TUB IS RUINED TOO!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 343 Total Views

We bough anold farmhouse to redo it.The house hasn't been used for 10 yrs.The tub is a huge clawfoot tub so nice but so stained.They have hard water and te whole tub is hard water and rust stains that orangy stuff in the tub.I tried mean green clr thye works bleach etc wont work.How can i whiten it or just get the stain out.Its to pretty to just  rig a shower curtain and hide it.Thanks Anne

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jroseh68
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Have you thought about hiring someone to refinish the tub.  Or painting over the stains.  I have heard of this being done not sure how it looks or if it works well or anything though.  I also found this site on google ... http://tubbyusa.com/

Jennifer
la716
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Did you know that easy off oven cleaner is a great tub and tile cleaner too? Try it! $3.00 is cheaper than re-painting!g

sweetsimplicity
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I read about this tip in my Tightwad Gazette book and found the following tip online as well:

"No matter how grimy the tub is (assume you moved into a new place, not that you don’t clean often) the following method will work to get it white and bright. First, wet the surface of the tub, sprinkle it with cream of tartar (found in the spice aisle), then rub with a cut lemon. Apply some elbow grease. You may need to use 1 or 2 lemons and will take about 20 minutes, but you don’t have to do it very often."

Hope this helps! :)

jennmarie77
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Thanks for the ideas ladies.  I was trying to get my sink cleaned that had hard water stains on it. 

Come join us in Design Star Fans, where it's ok not to agree on who got sent home.

mzbarker2
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I dont know if it will work or not, but try one of thosr miracle sponges (mr clean) and rust remover.  Worth a try if not then I would call a professional

kimebarnes
by Member on Jul. 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM

i had a friend redo a tub a while ago she said you have to use the stuff that is used to clean boats of rust etc then have re glazed she thinks its called naval jelly it was a couple of years ago try the hardware store or diy.com maybe you can find the answer there

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)