Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bubba

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 12:42 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 208 Total Views
Hi my name is Tina and I have a 4-5 year old pit mix named Bubba.  I got Bub about two years ago at the humane society.  They said he was a stray, but when I got him home he was house broken, and knew basic commands.  Bubba has some quirks I was hoping ya'll would have some tips on:

Bubba and my three cats live in harmony, but he hates dogs... he almost acts scared of them, but will bite if he gets the chance. 

Also in the last year Bubba has suddenly became terrified of thunder storms and I have no clue why.

Lately I think he is depressed; I just had a baby, but I would say the depression started a few months before the baby arrived. 

He follows me ALLLLLLLLL the time, I have litterly tripped over him from turning around. 

And just tonight he growled at the baby while my husband had them on the floor together.  I can handle all of the other dumb things he does, but we do not growl at the baby!!!!

Any tips and tricks would be alot of help
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
NoahsMom2007
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 3:28 PM
That's how Juliet is, always following me around and tripping over her. She is my shadow. The thing with the thunder might be from the past something that scared him. Because you don't know his past the people that had him before might have done something to him. And with the other dogs he probably wasn't socialized when he was young, maybe if you have friends with dog you can get around them as much as possible, but keep a watchful eye on him. The more he is around other dogs the better he will be, he might try to bite them but it's just them seeing who is alpha dog. Juliet use to do that with my bro's dog and after a while they were coo. With the depression, he isn't get the attention that he was before the baby came. Maybe set sometime out to talk the baby and dog walkin' plus it will get you out of the house to get fresh air. As far a him growling at the baby that's pretty scary, it might be jealousy, did you bring stuff home from the hospital of the babies so he could smell it and get use to it?
iSMILEheCRIES
by Group Owner on Apr. 14, 2007 at 3:46 PM
Yeah we brought him blankets home for a whole week because we ended up in Intensive Care.  I thought he was being really good with the baby... he doesn't show much interest in him usually, but at night he sleeps outside the babys door (i put a screen door on the baby room) and when Charlie starts to cry for food the dog walks back and forth between the room and the kitchen kinda asking me "why aren't you getting him?  can't you hear that?" 

I think walking is the key here...
Kyah
by Member on Apr. 23, 2007 at 11:13 PM
My dog never growled at the kids but Bubba may have never really been around kids he's probably really unsure but b4 i had my son my sis had a baby 2 mths b4 me and when she would come over I would hold the baby briefly my dog never saw a baby she looked really nervous and paced alot tried jumping etc but i got her used to it and taught her to be gentle she even nibbled his cheek a bit scary at the time but she really didn't know what he was she didn't hurt him or even make him cry but I would even carry my nieces doll around the house and talk to it etc after a while she calmed down and learned to be real gentle thats actually what I tell her now if she gets to rough I say gentle and she listens, what i would try is bringing him to the parks were there are kids and tell them not to go near him but get him used to the kids bring treats and teach him how to stay calm after a while you will see a difference i'm sure when he starts to be real calm and confident thats his problem hes unsure which is (not confident in the situation)and have the kids give him treats and slowly pet him and as always make sure to exercise him and spend time w/him too he just sounds like he's had alot!!!! of changes in the past few years and just needs to get adjusted the being aggressive toward other dogs is only natural for the pitbull so don't expect much my dog was great around all dogs for 5yrs then a ferw months ago she started gettg really aggressive with dogs she didn't know especcially females I talked to a trainer i know and he was surprised she didn't show it around age 2 when they start gettg there true instincts in but he said to me which kinda sucks but true that this breed was meant to challenge and kill other dogs its only in there nature and dogs they know should never be left alone together which is true my dog gets a bit jealous of my sis's pitx there great together but food etc they get to pushy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)