Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I feed a picky eater who is allergic to wheat?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 484 Total Views

My little man is 11 months old and allergic to wheat.  The problem is he is teething and and has become very picky about what he will eat.  I have found wheat free waffles, chicken nuggets and beef patty.  What else can I feed him?  He likes to crunch and refuses to eat any type of baby food or soft food.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mom2mygirl
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM

What about just dry cereal.  My kids love rice chex.  Also, check out the gluten free section of a natural foods store.  I know there a some crackers that would be good for you ds.

IloveOKC
by New Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:19 PM

What about Fritos and Cheetos? Also, I agree with the pp about the dry cereals like Trix, Rice Chex, and others. You can Make Fruity Pebble treats too!

ILOVEOKC

MSOmom
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Toast (wheat free, of course!)

Rice cakes (check the label....many "may contain traces of...")

Thinly sliced apples

Frozen grapes, thinly sliced

ElmoRules
by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM

There are gluten free graham crackers and saltines that are really yummy. 

e-doolittle
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 3:02 PM

My DS loves Corn Chex ... they are now Gluten Free.  Gerber Crunchies are corn based; they have 3 kinds.  We have also found gluten free crackers.

JoLynnDC
by Member on Jan. 8, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Check the health food sections of your local store.  If you live in GA. or a state that has A Whole Foods, they have a large variety of wheat free and gluten free products.  My daughter is allergic to wheat also and she loves there waffles.

JoLynnDC
by Member on Jan. 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I almost forgot, make sure you read the labels of everything you buy.  Because if you re like me you will be so shocked at the everyday items you would normally buy that has wheat in them or traces of wheat.  I had to completely changed our way of eating and shopping.  I buy all fresh foods, she loves fruit.  I and cook everything from scratch.  Most foods are preserved in wheat or some kind of wheat.  Also make sure you find out all the different names for wheat.  Good Luck!!

Lezlie003
by on Jan. 16, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Ian's is sold basically at the Kroger grocery stores they have a few wheat free things like chicken nuggets, french toast sticks, I think even pizza. I also give my son Walmart's version of cocoa puffs. Aldi has wheat free cocoa pebbles and fruity pebbles. My son likes the apples, clemintines (they are easier to peel and are like oranges), grapes, strawberries. We have messed around alot with rice flour and made him some yummy cookies with it. I have made him pumpkin cookies, oatmeal raisin, and pancakes or waffles. I use a basic Betty Crocker recipe and just substitute the rice flour which you can get at Kroger, and healthfood stores. Also Trader Joes has a list you can get of all the wheat free foods they carry. Hope that helsp. If you have anymore question please ask. Sometimes we as allergy parents feel a little stuck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)