Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Histamine free diet?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 12:47 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 2675 Total Views
Do any of you do the histamine free diet? I was thinking about doing a 4 week trial run with my son. Have any of you tried it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Dawn-Kiame
by Member on Aug. 11, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I'm not familiar with that.  What is it?

Dawn from So. Cal.

4 year old son allergic to cow's milk, goat's milk, eggs, peanuts, chicken, corn, yeast, soy, squash, pineapple, bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cashews, msg, and dawn dishwashing liquid.

I make allergy alert items- check them out here--> dawnberries

STACIEH
by Member on Aug. 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM

It is a list of foods that you can/can't eat according to their histamine levels. Some foods naturally have higher histamine levels. I've been trying to find a list that someone has tried before. Let me see if I can find more info for everyone.

Quoting Dawn-Kiame:

I'm not familiar with that.  What is it?

STACIEH
by Member on Aug. 11, 2010 at 5:42 PM

THIS is a good link to explain it and list foods that are high in histamine.  Our son does have some food allergies, but his body also produces too many mast cells. Mast cells produce histamine.  Since his body is producing extra histamine adding these histamine high foods into his body can cause what looks and acts like an allergic reaction (hives, itchy red skin, diarrhea, stomach pain, swelling, sudden drop in blood pressure, trouble breathing). I've also read that removing these foods in people who have eczema and food intolerance can help improve their condition.

Dawn-Kiame
by Member on Aug. 11, 2010 at 10:52 PM

That's interesting.  The only foods on that list that my DS eats are chocolate (dark, of course) and strawberries.  Neither seems to bother him that I can tell.    Man!  If I tried to follow that low histamine diet to help w/my environmental allergies I would have to completely change my diet!  yikes!  I think I would rather just take those OTC meds every day.......

GOOD LUCK!  Let us know how it works for you.

Dawn from So. Cal.

4 year old son allergic to cow's milk, goat's milk, eggs, peanuts, chicken, corn, yeast, soy, squash, pineapple, bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cashews, msg, and dawn dishwashing liquid.

STACIEH
by Member on Aug. 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM
Yeah we are going to have gto revamp our sons diet. I only hope he eats! As of right now he doesn't eat that good to begin with. (not healthy food wise, but amount wise) we plan on starting this Sunday and doing it for 4 weeks then reintroducing the foods 1 at a time to see which he has flare ups with.

Quoting Dawn-Kiame:

That's interesting.  The only foods on that list that my DS eats are chocolate (dark, of course) and strawberries.  Neither seems to bother him that I can tell.    Man!  If I tried to follow that low histamine diet to help w/my environmental allergies I would have to completely change my diet!  yikes!  I think I would rather just take those OTC meds every day.......

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dawn-Kiame
by Member on Aug. 12, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Mine doesn't eat much either.  He is sooo picky!  I try not to force him too much bc how do I know if something makes him sick internally, you know?  That's prob. not a good thing to do now I think about it.  Maybe I have let him get away with not trying new things for too long....  Please let us know how it goes.  I'm very interested to hear if it helps at all.

Quoting STACIEH:

Yeah we are going to have gto revamp our sons diet. I only hope he eats! As of right now he doesn't eat that good to begin with. (not healthy food wise, but amount wise) we plan on starting this Sunday and doing it for 4 weeks then reintroducing the foods 1 at a time to see which he has flare ups with.

Quoting Dawn-Kiame:

Dawn from So. Cal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)