Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone else had this happen.

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:52 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 457 Total Views

My 4mth old had a a major allergic reaction to Enfamil formula. He threw up, had diaherrea, hives and trouble breathing. We are suppose to go see an allergist to try to figure out what in the formula set him off, but my question is has anyone else ever had this happen w/ their kids. This was the first time he had ever received formula he has been on breastmilk from the time he was born and after this happening he maybe on it for the rest of his life LOL. Thanks

Monica S

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
juliness
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM

milk? did you try soy formula?

okiemomma3boyz
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:48 PM

He's actually breastfeed most of the time but for some reason we were rushing and I was tied up so I just had my MIL give him a bottle of formula to tied him over till I could nurse him. I never imagined it would cause such a reaction. We are suppose to take him in to an allergiest on Friday to see if they can figure out what in the formula caused his reaction. I'm afraid to try anything else right now so  he is just being given breastmilk and nothing else. I do want to figure out what I can give him though cause in a couple of months he'll be ready for cereal but I don't want him to have a reaction again if I can help it.

MSOmom
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Stick with the breastmilk as long as you can!  It's the best thing for him, and you know it's safe.  Don't rush in to cereal.  Babies stomachs don't make much amylase (enzyme for digesting grains) until they are about one year old.  Start with fruits, vegetables, egg yolks (JUST yolks!).

happy2bmom0406
by Member on Sep. 2, 2010 at 3:18 PM

My daughter had trouble with Milk formula both Similac and Enfamil.  It turned out she had a milk allergy.  My son had a reaction to Soy formula and turned out with a soy allergy.  So it can go either way.  Sadly I had no choice to breastfeed because I was very ill with a horrible condition.  Go with breastmilk for as long as possible.  Like the above poster said, start with fruits and veggies and stick with the breastmilk.  He will be SO HEALTHY!  Those are the best things to give!  Thank goodness you still have breastmilk.  The best Enfamil that is hypoallergenic is Nutramigen.  If you need, you can try that!

okiemomma3boyz
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 5:34 PM

THanks you all. I had thought of skipping cereal and going to veggie and fruit. My other two didn't eat much cereal cause they didn't like it and I always thought it was kinda yucky myself. ;) I will continue w/ the breastmilk as long as I can and I will see about fruit's and veggie's in another month or two. I have an appt w/ an allergiest tomorrow to see if we can figure out what he's allergic to so hopfully we won't have this happen again anytime soon. Right now I'm afraid to give him anything else because the reaction he had scared me so bad. I've never had a kid have trouble breathing before. I've dealt w/ the hives but not the breathing issue. I had started just giving him tastes of stuff like mashed potatoes, some icecream (did that w/ all my kids) not a lot or anything just a taste and he did fine. Now even though you can tell he wants some I won't give him anything. Hopefully the dr tomorrow well help.

mom2ljh
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Probably the milk protein.  Milk is frequently the culprit with a reaction like that; sometimes soy.  Have you cut milk out of your diet?

okiemomma3boyz
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 10:09 AM

No I haven't taken milk out of my diet. He hasn't had any problems w/ anything till I gave him that formula bottle and I'm not comfortable doing that again anytime soon but I still worry about starting new foods.

Quoting mom2ljh:

Probably the milk protein.  Milk is frequently the culprit with a reaction like that; sometimes soy.  Have you cut milk out of your diet?

Dawn-Kiame
by Member on Sep. 3, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I am very interested to hear what the allergist has/had to say.  I hope they tested him and didn't say he was too young....

Dawn from So. Cal.

4 year old son allergic to cow's milk, goat's milk, eggs, peanuts, chicken, corn, yeast, soy, oats, squash, pineapple, bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cashews, msg, and dawn dishwashing liquid.

I make allergy alert items- check them out here--> dawnberries

okiemomma3boyz
by on Sep. 3, 2010 at 11:44 PM

The allergy dr is pretty sure he has an allergy to milk but they are sending us next week to have blood drawn to do tests and then we go back on the 17th to go over the results w/ the doctor. They gave me an epipen, steriods and benedryl to keep w/ me at all times just in case. She said to just not give him anything w/ milk in it for now. I can give him some fruit or veggie baby food if I want. Still not in any hurry to do that but poor Jake watches w/ the most envious look on his face when we're eating. I"ll let you all know what the dr says after we get done w/ all the tests.

Just2busymom
by on Sep. 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM

After breastfeeding my 2nd son for 5 months I fed him formula.  He had the same reaction.  Come to find out he's highly allergic to milk. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)