Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confused!

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 447 Total Views

Ok so tonight I cooked dinner from scratch Especially for Ellie... I didnt use anything at all that contained milk,eggs, or peanuts or processed. It was all from scratch. Ellie ate and not even 10 minutes she was covered from head to toe in hives and a rash. Spent a long time on the phone with the allergist and Im just confused :(

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MSOmom
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 7:04 AM

How frustrating for you! 

My dd is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and soy.  I've found that some brands, Walmart in particular, have the "may contain" for everything.  Walmart flour (bleached, white flour for making play dough) even says soy on the label.  Maybe there was something hidden like that. Or maybe it's an undiagnosed allergy.  I hope you find out quickly!

Xia
by New Member on Dec. 10, 2010 at 2:17 PM
Sorry to hear that. What did you make?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3jewlz
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I made homemade biscuits and gravy from scrach... I used all ingredients that she can have.

Dawn-Kiame
by Member on Dec. 11, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Well, it must be one or more of the ingredients you used.  At least you know what they all were.  I mean, that's the point, right?  Has she only been diagnosed with peanut, milk and egg allergies?  Has she been tested for other things too and tested negative?  If so, she may have developed a new allergy.  If I were you, I would start over with food and only do single ingredient foods, one at a time so you know for sure what it is if another reaction occurs.  Poor baby!  Do you have an epi pen?

Dawn from So. Cal.

4 year old son allergic to cow's milk, goat's milk, eggs, peanuts, chicken, corn, yeast, soy, oats, squash, pineapple, bananas, cantaloupe, honeydew, cashews, msg, and dawn dishwashing liquid.

I make allergy alert items- check them out here--> dawnberries

3jewlz
by on Dec. 11, 2010 at 8:36 AM

She was tested about 6 months ago. She is allergic to all meat of animals that make milk. So she can only eat chicken and turkey. She is allergic to eggs, milk, peanuts and a very small reaction to oats. ( I give her oatmeal and no reactions) She goes back on the 27th for more testing.  I have a feeling that she is developing an allergy to soy. My reasons for thinking that are... She is on soy based formula and pretty much as soon as we started it she got eczema on her face around her mouth. Doctor said it was a skin infection about 3 weeks ago. Took oral steroids for 7 days. Went away. 2 days later was back worse than it was. when she eats food with soy in it, it seems to get worse. I think the doctors are going to have to put her back on elecare. Its just so expensive and the reason for switching her was she needed more calories. Ugh. Just dont understand why she has to be so allergic to things... None of my other kids are :/

3jewlz
by on Dec. 11, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Oh and yes I have an epi pen for her. we have like 4. One at her day care, one in the diaper bag, one in my purse and one in my kitchen cabinet... Im terrified she will need it.

msaraann
by New Member on Dec. 11, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I would totally suspect the soy. It's a common allergen. I know that puts you in a rough spot with feeding. I've heard of people making their own formula based on hemp or rice milk. You can do a search for homemade baby formula (actually I recommend the ones at Weston Price). Soy is related to peanuts, both legumes.

Sara
Natural Health Notebook

Dawn-Kiame
by Member on Dec. 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM

What kind of test did she have?  It may be that she is mildly allergic to soy, so it didn't show up on the test.  And maybe she needs a certain amount to build up in her system before getting a reaction.  That is how my ds was with soy.  He was fine with a little, but after, say, a popsicle a day for 3 days in a row, he'd get a rash.  Have you tried Neutramigen?  That's what we used (in addition to breast milk) until ds was 2.

3jewlz
by on Dec. 13, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I had a blood test done and a skin prick test. She goes on the 27th for another skin test and I am taking her to her pedi today for a CBC test.

Quoting Dawn-Kiame:

What kind of test did she have?  It may be that she is mildly allergic to soy, so it didn't show up on the test.  And maybe she needs a certain amount to build up in her system before getting a reaction.  That is how my ds was with soy.  He was fine with a little, but after, say, a popsicle a day for 3 days in a row, he'd get a rash.  Have you tried Neutramigen?  That's what we used (in addition to breast milk) until ds was 2.

hemimom03
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2011 at 8:48 PM

how about Rice milk?? Just a thought to try. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)