Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hopefully found it! Question

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 170 Total Views
So I posted a few days ago and I think I figured out my sins unknown allergery. This weekend he broke out in hives and I wrote down everything and from the previous times and only thing I can see is tree nuts. This weekend he had mm s out if a trail mix that had chased almonds sunflowers etc and broke out. I then went back and looked at the other food logs and noticed things he ate could have traced I tree nuts. So i dont know. What are the possibilities of that being it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LFields
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM
Tree nut are are one of the things a lot of people are allergic to. I would ask to have him tested for all nuts.
JulieT727
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Sounds like you are on to something.  There are so many tree nuts that he could be allergic to all or just a few or only one.  The same for seeds, you mentioned sunflower seeds.  Best bet is to eliminate all traces of nuts and seeds for a while, including M&M's because just those alone have traces.  Your allergist can do an allergy test in the office to verify.  In the mean time, Enjoy Life chocolate is a safe one as well as Vermont Nut Free chocolates if your son wants chocolate.  Other sources of tree nuts and seeds are all bakery products, bagels, ice cream, many asian foods, and many cereals.  Big list and can be daunting to eliminate so read labels, ask questions of clerks in the grocery stores and restaurant staff to make sure the food is safe.  Keep an epi-pen handy too just in case he has a full blown allergic reaction...you never know which is sad, scary, and the reality.  Our son is allergic to every tree nut, peanuts, sunflower, and sesame so we live this life.  It is manageable once you get over the agony of the transition.

irishluck112211
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Thank you! We do have an epi pen due to his shellfish allergy. I am also staying away from all tree nuts even that have traces till his appt this Friday.

Quoting JulieT727:

Sounds like you are on to something.  There are so many tree nuts that he could be allergic to all or just a few or only one.  The same for seeds, you mentioned sunflower seeds.  Best bet is to eliminate all traces of nuts and seeds for a while, including M&M's because just those alone have traces.  Your allergist can do an allergy test in the office to verify.  In the mean time, Enjoy Life chocolate is a safe one as well as Vermont Nut Free chocolates if your son wants chocolate.  Other sources of tree nuts and seeds are all bakery products, bagels, ice cream, many asian foods, and many cereals.  Big list and can be daunting to eliminate so read labels, ask questions of clerks in the grocery stores and restaurant staff to make sure the food is safe.  Keep an epi-pen handy too just in case he has a full blown allergic reaction...you never know which is sad, scary, and the reality.  Our son is allergic to every tree nut, peanuts, sunflower, and sesame so we live this life.  It is manageable once you get over the agony of the transition.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DylansMom1207
by Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

My son broke out from M&M's before we knew he had a tree nut/peanut allergy.  His was just from factory cross contamination.  So it is possible he could have broken out from them being in a bag with nuts. 

irishluck112211
by Member on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM
They did a blood test today for tree nuts and sunflowers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)