Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Milk/soy/almond allergy.. Feeling very overwhelmed

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:07 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 670 Total Views

My 22 month old daughter has a milk protein, soy and almond allergy. To top that off she is VERY picky. She will not eat meats or veggies and half of the foods she would eat have to be cut out. We are talking peanut butter sandwiches, chicken nuggets, oatmeal, cheerios, raisins and fruit. That is after cutting out the foods she ate that contained milk/soy/almond. I don't want to overload her with too many fruits and cause any diabetic issues. They do want her drinking elecare jr 3-4 times a day for the next year which will supplement for everything she needs and already lacks. With her taking that formula, they are not too concerned about her diet but I am. I would like to offer her more foods but every label I look at contains something she cannot have and I am feeling super overwhelmed by it all. Does anyone else deal with BOTH milk and soy allergies? If so I would love some recommendations for meals, snacks, ect. I don't know what kind of meals I can make for the entire family that meets her needs. Please help!!!! 

Thanks in advance! 

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sweetserenit292
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Just curious,  what kind of reaction does your daughter have when she is exposed to these items?

My 6 yr old has soy, milk, eggs, nut and wheat.     You are right almost everything has milk and or soy.   Unfortunately almost all prepackaged foods have those items.   I find myself sticking to the basics.....think....if I lived in the 1800's how would I cook or eat.   Not many things were pre packaged back then.   As far as snacks ...try the all natural store or organic store.   They sometimes have pre-packages items like graham crackers, cakes.....ect that don't contain those items... you just have to be an avid label reader.  FYI  if those chicken nuggets are frozen ....  they also are likely to contain soy.   Pretzels and some cereals don't contain those items either.   My son doesn't use milk in his cereal .....he eats it dry.   

Luv4fam81
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Quinoa, quinoa/brown rice pasta, mash sweet potatoes, coconut milk products by So Delicious, popcorn, tortilla chips
DylansMom1207
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Your best bet is making everything from scratch.  No canned, or packaged foods. 

kmroark24
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Her face gets really red and she gets the eczema looking rash. She also gets an upset stomach and diarrhea almost instantly. With milk she sometimes vomits as well. The chicken nuggets contain soy oil but the doctor said soy oil is ok.

sweetserenit292
by Member on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:45 PM

My son would react the same way.   I am not to sure about the soy oil.......my son loved the Schwan's chicken nuggets......  Had soy oil in it too..... but sure enough  that was a big culprit. We also  use soy free butter (earth balance).   I found that soy flour sent him into anaphlatic shock.......  I bought some cookies and read the label ......and missed the soy flour as an ingredient.......found myself backtracking real fast to discover what happened.     I never knew there was soy flour.    Some gluten free products are free of milk and soy but not many.  

collinsmommy0
by on Feb. 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM
Why can't she have those foods? You canale bread at home or look at places like whole foods for bread that doesn't have milk or soy in it (although I think most have soy). Chicken nuggets can be made at home - we do chicken dipped in flour, then eggs, then Panko bread crumbs (they make some that are gluten/milk free, don't know about the soy though) then bake them.

Does oatmeal usually have soy? You can buy whole oats and add the 'flavors' like maple syrup, cinnamon, or honey or fruit to it.

My son is allergic to a lot of foods - milk and nuts being some of them. He can tolerate some soy so I let him have some in things like bread.
sweetserenit292
by Member on Feb. 9, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Quoting collinsmommy0: Why can't she have those foods? You canale bread at home or look at places like whole foods for bread that doesn't have milk or soy in it (although I think most have soy). Chicken nuggets can be made at home - we do chicken dipped in flour, then eggs, then Panko bread crumbs (they make some that are gluten/milk free, don't know about the soy though) then bake them.

Does oatmeal usually have soy? You can buy whole oats and add the 'flavors' like maple syrup, cinnamon, or honey or fruit to it.

My son is allergic to a lot of foods - milk and nuts being some of them. He can tolerate some soy so I let him have some in things like bread.

We do the same with the chicken but use corn meal instead of bread crumbs.  

Old fashioned oatmeal is safe.....many instant oatmeals contains soy.

kmroark24
by New Member on Feb. 10, 2014 at 7:11 AM
Your are misreading it, that is all she will eat because she is super picky.
Tommys.Lala
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 1:52 AM
My son has fpies to milk, soy, and almonds. Rudis makes bread tortillas and muffins. He's 18 months and is going to occupational therapy for food play. He was so picky a couple months ago he only ate 4 foods, but rarely and usually only a bite of them. He now eats spaghetti, toast, I found some crackers, viennas, I make chicken and need and freeze them so I can take them out for him. He also eats eggs and refried beans. If he has a reaction he regresses and won't eat for a few days until it's out of his system. My son can't tolerate soy oil or soy lethecin so we have a hard time finding things. I think occupational therapy would be amazing for your daughter would benefit from occupational therapy!! I hope by now she is eating more. I haven't gotten on cafemom in about 3 years.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)