Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Allergen Free Flour.....PLEASE HELP!!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 235 Total Views

Hi ladies.  I found out that my son, who has multiple food allergies (Wheat, Soy, Corn, Peanut, Tree Nut, and Sesame Seeds), also has Celiac Disease.  My hubby and I are feeling great being on a Gluten Free diet and my daughter, who is very small, is growing like a weed on the diet so we have to give up all gluten in my home.   I  have great books for baking and cannot find flour that is allergen safe.  All "alternative" flours (Rice, Potato, Quinoa, etc.) have been processed around Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Corn, and Soy because Peanut Flour, Almond Flour, Soy Flour, and Corn Flour are also substitutes for Wheat Flour.  My son is allergic to all four and my daughter to peanuts so I cannot bake yet.  I was wondering if any of you have found any flour that is gluten free and not made around Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Soy, and Corn.  I really want to bake for my kids.  I felt so sad for them not having any cookies on Christmas.  I tried allergygrocer.com and nothing safe came up.  Has anyone had any luck with this?

Proud Mommy of my sweet family!

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ElmoRules
by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I just bought some flour at the Gluten Free Cupboard in Rochester, Minnesota.  They ship things if necessary.  It is called Laurel's Gluten-Free Baking Flour mix.  It is made of white rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch.  Looks like you have to add your own xanthan gum so I am going to have to go buy that.  It doesn't say anything about what else they process.  They have a website called www.glutenfreemixes.com .  The gluten-free cupboard does too but I don't remember it so you will need to google it.  It cost 10.99 for a 5 lb bag.

abubu
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I look at different flours on my blog at http://lisacooksallergenfree.blogspot.com/2009/01/lisa-shops-for-allergen-free-all.html, it can at least get you started with some places to look and when we find some, I also have cookie recipes on my blog. Best of luck to you, let me know if there is any other things you are in need of, we learn together.

Thanks, Lisa

MSOmom
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 3:25 PM

In the long run it may be much less expensive to purchase a grinder and grind your own flour.  You can get (in bulk...store int the freezer) the grains that are safe for your family and grind your own healthy, fresh flour.

BTW:  It really doesn't take all that long.  I have been grinding my own flour for the last six months.  I just set the grinder up while I'm doing other things in the kitchen anyway (dishes, cooking, etc...)  Just be sure to get a quiet grinder.  I use a  Mil-Rite. 

It is a big outlay of cash initially, but if you calculate all the $$ you'd be spending on "specialty flour," I'm sure you'll find it cheaper in no time!

happy2bmom0406
by Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM

Quoting abubu:

I look at different flours on my blog at http://lisacooksallergenfree.blogspot.com/2009/01/lisa-shops-for-allergen-free-all.html, it can at least get you started with some places to look and when we find some, I also have cookie recipes on my blog. Best of luck to you, let me know if there is any other things you are in need of, we learn together.

Thanks, Lisa

Oh thank you for this!  I "bookmarked" it.  I am happy to hear the news about Bob's Red Mill because it is available in my town but I agree with you, it needs to be Tree Nut free as well.  Unfortunately my son is also allergic to corn so the Flour companies you listed are not safe for him either.  Thanks so much, I will be checking in often!!

Thanks all of you for your responses.  I never even thought of grinding my own flour!!  I am definetly looking into it!

Proud Mommy of my sweet family!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)