• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

flying w fa toddler

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:25 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 238 Total Views

my dd is allergic to many thngs one of whichis peanuts.  we are flying this week, i am concerned about the peanuts that they pass around. anyone have expierience with this? do they still pass them out to everyone, is it possible to ask them not to ? any input is welcome, its been a long time since i flew and never with her.thanks

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Garrettsmom2003
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:57 AM

My in-laws  just told me about a week or so ago about a family that was getting ready to fly with their child that has nut allergies. It was on TV, is how they saw it. The airline was told when the family got their tickets. The airline cleaned the inside of the plane as well as the filter system. This was to make sure there was no oil, dust or any traces of anything nuts. Plus they made sure there were no nuts of any kind on the plane. I did not know they would do something like that, but I guess maybe they do if you let them know ahead of time.

butrflychick23
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:02 AM

when we flew in september they didn't even serve nuts on the plane, they served pretzels. I would call the airline to see what they are going to be serving, but most airlines are no longer serving peanuts b/c of the allergy.

pregnancy

MsAprilAnn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:10 PM

My son is severely allergic to peanuts and I told the airlines. They didn't care. They just didn't give us any but the rest of the plane got them.

ElmoRules
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Southwest still serves peanuts but I believe they won't hand them out if you tell them ahead of time.

I fly yearly with my twin girls.  They don't have a peanut allergy but are allergic to many other things.  We have to take all of their own food because there is nothing in the airports they can eat.  We always get a letter from the doctor, take our epi-pens, and take a cooler of food for them.  Security has never had an issue.  I tell them upfront that they have severe food allergies so I have a cooler of food and drinks and they have never even opened the cooler (kind of scary that they trust us, I would rather they inspect it all).

corbysmom531
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:52 PM

I feel bad for the family mentioned earlier that the airline didn't care, that's just not right.  I know, just from lots of flying experience, that if a child or adult has a food allergy to something on the plane, MOST of the time, they'll clean at least the area around that person's seat, and most likely the whole plane.  The last thing they want is for someone to go into shock on the plane and have it be their fault. 

in love                     toddler boy

Ryan and Destiny                  Corby

July 16, 2005                 May 31, 2007

summertime247
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:18 PM

When we flew to Orlando from Houston, we were on an "allergy flight" so they served pretzels instead of peanuts. I dont remember what airline it was though. Call the airlines and ask about it- its considered a "disability" for legal purposes, you just have to ask the right questions.  

Summer Christine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)