Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the whole allergy thing and need some advice please

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:18 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 302 Total Views

Hi ladies.  I have been battling allergies with my son since he was two weeks old, I just had no clue what he was allergic to.  I cut out tons of stuff from my diet while bf but nothing seemed to help.  He's 19 months now and his digestive system is all messed up.  He either has diarrhea, or he's constipated.  He has what seems to be seasonal allergies, and he just got diagnosed with asthma.  He also had eczema as an infant, but he hasn't had that for a long time now. 

His new pedi did an allergy test on him when he got the asthma diagnosis.  They testes for the IgE reactions to food, pets, and seasonal things, and everything came back negative, however it showed he was severely allergic to SOMETHING.  So, then we went to an allergist who tried to tell me that he wasn't allergic to anything other than the cold virus.  He refused to do scratch tests, and wanted to put him on 7 different kinds of medications for asthma and allergies.  So, I called his pedi, and he confirmed that the allergist was nuts and that we needed to find out what the heck he was allergic to.  So, we did a food sensitivity test for the IgG reactions.  Well, everything citrus was off the charts.  So, welcome to the world of food sensitivity.  Thankfully all of his reactions are delayed, so I don't have to worry about swelling or hives or anything like that. 

I still haven't talked to his pedi about the results, I plan to call tomorrow.  If he's allergic to citrus, does that mean he can't have citric acid?  I'm having a REALLY hard time finding just vitamins that don't have that in it.  So does anyone here know?  Most of the stuff that I've been giving him with citric acid are his vitamins, yogurt, and grape gatorade.  I'm sure there are more, but those are the biggies.

Thanks!

in love                     toddler boy

Ryan and Destiny                  Corby

July 16, 2005                 May 31, 2007

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mom2mygirl
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:19 PM

There was a post on here before asking about citric acid.  I found it for you, hope it helps.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/409/boards/read/7114500/citric_acid

ElmoRules
by Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I am so glad to hear that you found a doctor who does IgG testing.  It is very difficult to find one because most of them act like the allergist you saw.  You are very lucky to have a great doctor!  The other post will help you out so make sure to read it!

corbysmom531
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Thank you SOOOO much for the info! 

So, if my son tested negative to mold and corn (among 100's of other things) and he's only allergic to citrus, then should citric acid be okay?  That's what I gathered.

I googled "where does citric acid come from", and the only thing I got is that it's found in citrus.  Well DUH!  Of course it's found in citrus, but where do they get the stuff in processed food?  That's why I turned to this group.  So again, THANKS!!!

in love                     toddler boy

Ryan and Destiny                  Corby

July 16, 2005                 May 31, 2007

happy2bmom0406
by Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:06 PM

It is sooo confusing!!  My son is allergic to corn but has no troubles with tomatoes, oranges, etc.  We have to assume that the "citric acid" in things is corn because they are not required to specify this on labels.  Since you are the oppotsite, I would do the same.  I would assume that citric acid is bad.  Unless it is specified otherwise.  Welcome to the confusing world of food allergies!!!

Proud Mommy of my sweet family!

ElmoRules
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I would agree.  I have issues with citric fruits (as I am sure you read in the other post) but have no problems with things that contain citric acid.  I believe it is from corn...which I am not allergic to.

Quoting corbysmom531:

Thank you SOOOO much for the info! 

So, if my son tested negative to mold and corn (among 100's of other things) and he's only allergic to citrus, then should citric acid be okay?  That's what I gathered.

I googled "where does citric acid come from", and the only thing I got is that it's found in citrus.  Well DUH!  Of course it's found in citrus, but where do they get the stuff in processed food?  That's why I turned to this group.  So again, THANKS!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)