Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you find a good allergist?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:53 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 260 Total Views

Hi all,

My son has severe allergies to over 28 food items, and has not been tested for everything.  He also has severe asthma. I have been to three different allergists now and none of them believe in doing any kind of blood tests for allergies, only skin tests.  I wound up having our pediatrician do the blood tests.  The three allergists that I went to were highly reccommended and well known but won't do what my son needs.

My question is how have you ladies found a good allergist?

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mom2mygirl
by Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Unfortunately, I am no help for you.  I have taken my son to 4 allergists and 1 gi dr. and none of them were able to help me.  My son has delayed reactions to most foods he is allergic to and it seems no one believes they are true allergies.  I did have one mom on here refer me to her dr. for some testing and it was helpful, but not a permanent solution for a dr.  My ds has over 30 allergies now and I basically have to try each food on my own and wait to see if he reacts. 

My only advice is to call around to allergists in your area and ask if they do the type of testing you want done.  You could also insist they do the blood draw instead of the scratch test.  I was told by another mom that they have to do what you ask, but haven't experienced this personally.

christi1211
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2009 at 10:19 PM

So is the skin test coming up negative but you thing the blood test will be positive? In our case the sensitivities were reversed?

meagan421
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2009 at 7:30 AM

My son has both anaphylactic reaction allergies, which show up on both skin and blood tests.  Both alot of his allergies are delayed reaction allergies, which usually cause him to have an asthma attack between 1 and 12 hours after eating the offending food, I have gotten my ped. to do this blood test, but  I still need more tests done, because currently my son is only allowed to eat FIVE foods, my nutrionist doesn't want me try anything new for atleast two months b/c he immune system is too compromised and it needs time to fix itself alittle.  The food allergies may also be a GI issue, possiblilty an esphogis disorder, actually have his first GI appt today, so we shall see.

I did find an allergiest yesterday that will do blood and skin tests!!!!! I found her through a hospital that is one of the top rated in the world, most hospital website have a doctor referral service for the hospital they are associated with.  I have to wait three weeks for the appt. but I hope that the wait is worth it.

mom2mygirl
by Member on Aug. 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Quoting meagan421:

My son has both anaphylactic reaction allergies, which show up on both skin and blood tests.  Both alot of his allergies are delayed reaction allergies, which usually cause him to have an asthma attack between 1 and 12 hours after eating the offending food, I have gotten my ped. to do this blood test, but  I still need more tests done, because currently my son is only allowed to eat FIVE foods, my nutrionist doesn't want me try anything new for atleast two months b/c he immune system is too compromised and it needs time to fix itself alittle.  The food allergies may also be a GI issue, possiblilty an esphogis disorder, actually have his first GI appt today, so we shall see.

I did find an allergiest yesterday that will do blood and skin tests!!!!! I found her through a hospital that is one of the top rated in the world, most hospital website have a doctor referral service for the hospital they are associated with.  I have to wait three weeks for the appt. but I hope that the wait is worth it.

Good Luck!  I hope you are able to get the answers you need.  Make sure they do what you want and don't talk you out of testing.  I completely understand what you are going through.  My ds only has a handful of foods he can eat too.  I have some great recipes I've created if you need any help in that area.  I can only use rice flour for recipes and luckily my ds can tolerate meats and canola oil, so there is hope.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)