Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving to Omaha...

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:04 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 310 Total Views

Good Morning! My name is Jessie. My family and I will be moving to Omaha in late July/early August. We currently live in Florida so this will be quite a big change for us! I was hoping to get to know some moms in the area before I get up there. I have a 6yr old son and 5yr old daughter and a baby girl on the way, due in June. I'm a little overwhelmed right now with a baby on the way and planning the move but I have tons of questions if anyone is willing to answer!

First, can anyone tell me about the school system in Omaha? Where we live now, the school system is a mess. It's what is called school choice and it is a pain!!! In Omaha, do you just go to the school closest to your house? Do you have a choice? What do you think is the best elementary school?

Any advice or info you can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!!

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you!!!

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tiredmommyof2
by Group Admin on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Hi! What part of Florida do you live in now? I have family in Wellington, and I just love it there!

The school system consist of OPS, District 66, Elkhorn, private, and then there are suburbs of Omaha such as Millard, Elkhorn, Bellevue, La Vista, and Papillion. We personally live in District 66 and we love it. My husband and I both grew up in that school system so that is all we know. I have step kids that go to OPS and I haven't been too happy with it, meaning I am not impressed and am glad my kids don't go there.

Omaha is a beautiful place and you have many areas to choose from. Have you spoke to a real estate person? I know a fabulous. If you want his contact info just PM me and I will give it to you.

I look forward to talking to you more!!!

Best of luck on your move.

Sheri

KKCMom
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Hey, I live in Omaha and am moving to Florida, lol. In my opinion the Millard area is the best. My dd goes to Bryan Elementary and they are awesome! They are very helpful and Always there for the parents. I think you can choose certain schools, but most are where you live. Good luck with the snow!

jessie1525
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Hi Sheri! I live in Ft Myers now but I used to live in Greenacres, which was literally one street over from Wellington! I lived 2 min from the Wellington Mall. (Which I have to say is the best mall ever!) ;)

Thanks for your opinion on the schools. My boyfriend is from Omaha and went to Millard schools. He loved them. Have you ever heard of the Walt Disney Elementary? I'm trying to find info on it.

We haven't spoke with a real estate agent because we're not ready to buy anything yet. We're going to rent until we decide on an area that we love. If your agent handles rentals, let me know!

I look forward to talking with you some more as well!

Quoting tiredmommyof2:

Hi! What part of Florida do you live in now? I have family in Wellington, and I just love it there!

Have you spoke to a real estate person? I know a fabulous. If you want his contact info just PM me and I will give it to you.

I look forward to talking to you more!!!

jessie1525
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Hi there! Where in Florida are you moving? I will look into Bryan. Do you know what the requirements are to register the kids for school. My son should be an easy transfer since he's already in school but my daughter will be starting kindergarten. Ahhh! It's so much to think about! LOL! If you need to know anything about Florida, feel free to ask =)

Quoting KKCMom:

Hey, I live in Omaha and am moving to Florida, lol. In my opinion the Millard area is the best. My dd goes to Bryan Elementary and they are awesome! They are very helpful and Always there for the parents. I think you can choose certain schools, but most are where you live. Good luck with the snow!

Nebraskaoma
by Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Are you military? Got a great group of moms if you are. I'm the old lady in the group  - I wonder why they keep me around :)

Blessings,
~~Pat

Owner - AUTISM...Newcomers Club

jessie1525
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Nope, not military. We're just the only goof balls that would move from Florida to Nebraska!!! We're actually moving to be closer to family. Thanks though!

Quoting Nebraskaoma:

Are you military? Got a great group of moms if you are. I'm the old lady in the group  - I wonder why they keep me around :)

my2boys700
by Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Hi there and an early welcome!  I have a 5yr old son & a 9month old son.  My hubby has lived here his whole life and I've lived here since 1992.  We love it here (although the winters can get kind of long).   We live by Elkhorn, which is Northwest(ish) of Omaha and we love the Elkhorn school district out here and have heard nothing but good things about it so far.  Getting my son ready for kindergarten next and everyone has been very friendly.  Hard to believe Kindergarten round up is next month already!

huskermomof4
by Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Although we lived in Lincoln for many years, we moved here from Missouri just this last August. And we also moved to the Elkhorn area with great success. Elkhorn is just close enough to the big city while being a small city in itself. Really great neighborhoods and so pleased we landed here! We have a 13, 10, 5 and 3 year old. The schools are phenomenal! Some of the best teachers! We have one in E. Middle school, one in Westridge elementary and one in the Early Ed center. The kids have been welcomed and feel right at home. And we have made several friends through church that are very pleased with their elementaries as well as Elkhorn Ridge Middle and the High School. You can't go wrong here. Our other option was the Millard area which is also exceptional and I know we wouldn't have regretted that either!

Good luck with the move!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)