Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Tempera Paint and egg allergies!

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM
  • 1 Replies

Does anyone have any experience with egg allergies specifically related to tempera paints?

I'm the art docent for my 1st Grader's class and our first project is tomorrow.  I am a total "non-art" person and totally stressed out about the project.  I keep telling myself that if I can't hold my own against a bunch of 1st Graders then I'm really in trouble. 

Anyhow, as I'm surfing the web today to try and find out how to work with tempera paints, I come across a notation that says that tempera paints are made with eggs.  WHAT????  We have an egg allergy in the classroom (raw eggs specifically, so no mayo based dips, etc. for shared foods events).  I'm in panic mode because I'm either going to have to spend the evening and most of the morning re-planning my project, or spend the morning specifically finding some tempera that doesn't include eggs.

Right now I can't confirm whether or not the school supply contains eggs or not.  We use Prang.  I tried to call them this afternoon, but it was 3pm here, and they are on EST and closed at 5pm.  Their website doesn't list ingredients and it doesn't say anything about whether or not egg products are used.  I did find another manufacturer that came right out and said that they do not use egg products.  And with further internet searching I've found several sources that say egg is used in "home-made tempera and in high-end tempera", so I'm hopefull that we'll be okay to use what we have. 

Right now, I've notified the teacher and she has notified the parents (left them a voicemail this afternoon) to find out if they have any experience or knowledge of this.  I plan to call Prang in the morning to try and find out for sure, but its driving me crazy.  I brought home all the jugs of paints this evening because I'm going to be "thickening" them for our Starry Night project.  I hate to go to all that trouble (and waste) if we can't use the paint for the project. 

by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
ldmrmom
by on Oct. 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Were you able to find an answer?

I don't know about that specific brand, but yes, there are some art supplies that do present problems for food allergic children. Some varieties of tempra paint and egg allergies can be one of them. Wheat allergies and Play-Doh like items are another. 

This chart may come in handy. It was circulated around one of my allergy groups as a reference at one time:

Art Supplies and Allergies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)