Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4-h yay or nay?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:51 AM
  • 6 Replies

my dd has the opportunity to join 4-h at shcool and she wants to but i dont know much about it and was hoping some of you may be able to give me some more info.  Shes already in student council chorus enrichment/advanced classes girl scouts swimming and she will be starting childrens theater soon so i am curious if 4-h may be too mmuch for her (but knowing my child and how much she enjoys the challenges that comes with these extra curriculars it wouldnt be) I dont really know what they do and what may be required of her so any info you may have would be great!

Come to support your swimmers!!  Swim Team Mommas!!!

SEW MONTHLY http://www.cafemom.com/group/105277

Come see Ethan's Eyes  http://ethanseyes.webs.com/

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM

What age is your daughter? 4-H is a great program. A lot depends on her interests. Talk to the leader of the program at your daughter's school to find out more about what they do and how often it meets.

KidsHelper
by on Nov. 4, 2009 at 11:49 PM

In our area, the 4H meets only about once a month, and it's on the weekend usually.  There are many kinds of programs though, so you need to find out.  We do both Cubs and GS and are interested in the high adventure 4H but don't have a local group.  DH is considering signing up for the classes in the spring so that we can lead.  It sounds to me like your daughter really has a lot going on already.  I thought we were super-busy with our stuff, but I think you've got even more!  DD has ballet, tap, theater, GS, and Good News Club.  DS has ballet, tap, hip-hop, theater, Cubs, Traditional Native Drumming, and Good News Club.  Believe it or not, we fit all of that into two nights a week, except for the Good News Club which is on Wednesday after school.  Most of the activities are either done together, or take place at the same time and place.(ds drums after school while dd has GS)  The theater is on weekends, but DH and I are also involved, so it's really a nice family thing.   From what I know, 4H is great.  If you can fit it in, I say to go for it.  I love offering the kids new activities.  I just wish I'd introduce them to something that they actually hated and didn't want to keep doing! 

Come join my new cafemom group

Positive Parenting and Happy Families

ASF
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM

4-H is great, they usually meet once a month, but if she joins a team your looking at anywhere from weekly with photo and such to a daily commitment if she does an animal project. If she has the time, it is a great program. And can lead to FFA and scholarships.

vlester
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:04 PM

i was wondering that too because I was in it a LONG time about but you know so much has changed. They offer it at his school and meet every  1st Monday of the month I think after school. It does seem like it is still a great club to participate in.

mnwintercritter
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Well we are in the big city so for my son we are stuck with Cub Scouts and YMCA. But wow about 25 to 30 years ago I was in 4-H. I have to say it is a bit biased and based on a more agricultural outlook. I don't know if its changed since I was a girl growing up on a farm but most of all the activities we did in 4-H were based on farm activities and living a greener life. They are aces on conservation, animal activites and a more agricultural outlook. It was tons of fun for me ages 10 - 15. And like most activities if you are really interested there is usually something going on everyother week to do outside the regular meeting.  Is your daughter actually interested in conservation or agriculture?

hholllyy426
by on Nov. 24, 2009 at 5:47 PM

If you're still wondering here is their website, www.4-h.org

Join us on

The Elementary Moms
Group
              Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)