Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

100 No Excuse Words Anyone elses 1st grader's class doing the same?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter is in 1st grade.

Back to school night was sent home with a paper with 100 words on it.

it says 100 No Excuses Words and below that says " Here are 100 words that i must always spell perfectly !"

They are expected to learn how to write 50 words by 11/23 at which time they will have a test and anyone that doesnt do good will be sent to another room while everyone else gets a party.

They also have a test on 11/30 for the other 50 words and same thing another party.

Is your childs class doing the same? 

What do you think of this ?

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:49 PM

My kids school doesnt do it exactly like that, but k-1 each have 100 words they need to learn from I to because in 1st.  When they learn them they get a t shirt announcing the accomplishment.  Its such a big thing for most of the kids, my daughter WANTS to work on the words every day.  As far as bribing with parties, they send the top 2 in each grade in a Limo and lunch after the state testing each year.  I dont think its conductive for the other 30 kids in the class to get left out, but it also makes them try harder the next year.  If the words arent unreasonable I personally wouldnt have a problem with that.

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 10:51 PM

no my son school does not do this, He gets 12 spelling words a week and usually misses no more than 1. It does not come natural to him though we have to practice!

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 1:31 AM

thats kinda unreasonable, dont you think ??!?!?!? 100 words! are they sight words like ( the, is, are, in ,it  ....etc) if thats the case then maybe but if your talking like 2 to 3 syllables i think that is a little too much for first grade.... then i could be wrong my first grader is still doing only four letter words, and i am not even sure if it is a "spelling test"..... that might not be good thing maybe my childs class is behing?   lol  regardless its not fair for them to throw a party for those who pass and not for those who have a hard time i would talk to the principal or school counselor about that one

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 6:41 AM

My daughter has had spelling tests sice the 2nd week of school, usually 6 words and a bonus word everyweek! That IS alot of words to learn all at once but if they are the sight words maybe she already knows how to spell quite a few of them.....GOOD LUCK :) 

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 8:08 AM

My Son is in first grade and he only has about 10 spelling words to deal with each week and some sight words.  My oldest on the other hand is in 3rd Grade and the first week of school he came home with a list of "100 No Excuse Words" that he should know how to spell perfectly.  He has 15 spelling words that are very hard for him plus on his spelling test every friday, she adds 5 words from that No Excuse Words List. 

Spelling does not come easily for my Two Boys.  Its alot of work each night going over their words.

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 10:41 AM

I don't think it's unreasonable to have a list like that but I think their reward system is warped.  A lot of things like spelling, math and reading are purely developmental.  How do they weed out the kids who may not be there developmentally or who have unidentified learning disabilities from the kids who just didn't study? 

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 1:33 PM

They were given a month if that to learn to write the words and this is on top of having to do daily homework, writing spelling words 3x each (10words), 2 pages of math, memorizing a poem.

a few of the last group of 50 : know,most,called,find,people,may,water,after,words,little,now,who,its,down,only,just

My daughter stuggles with homework so that is a big battle just to get her homework done then to make her work on writing 50words for a upcoming quiz is a little extreme.

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I think the idea is good but the time frame is way to short being they still have regular homework.

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 1:42 PM

DS gets something called "Fry Words" every 9 weeks.  He only has to be able to recognize them though, not spell them.

by on Nov. 10, 2009 at 1:47 PM

My dd is now in grade 2, but when she was in grade 1 she did have a list of 150 no excuses words, she had to know those words inside and out. She had absolutely NO problem learning them at all.

Id be a little upset over the party thing though.

Some children just arent equipped to learn those words that quickly and I dont think its fair that they dont allow them to be part of the party. Sometimes they just cant help it.. and its not cool that they would make a party that insinuates that some kids are better then others. I dunno. I dunno.. it would upset me and my daughter if a child was left out.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)