Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Relocating from overseas - late K registration?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hi,

I currently live in France, but we're considering a relocation to the SF bay area (around Cupertino in particular) next summer. It looks like most K registration takes place in Feb-April preceeding the K school year. We won't even know exactly where we're going to living until a couple of months after moving. I'm afraid we won't get my daughter into school.

Do public schools accept late registration? Must they accept my daughter or do they have the right to refuse her? It seems to me that I remember late school arrivals when I was in grade school from parents who just moved to town, but that was a long time ago and I don't know how it works now.

FYI, my daughter turns 5 in May and she's already in the French equivalent of Kindergarten here because she skipped a grade. I don't think she'll have any problems adjusting. I do speak to her in English all the time, so I'm sure she'll start speaking English very soon after moving.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
cabyrum
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:36 AM

They will accept late registration at the school. They will be required to place her in a class - depending on the school district that could be in a different school if that school is full. Some districts are open allowing parents to choose which school their child goes to so it's not always their 'home' school as some are more desired than others.

I wouldn't worry until you are in the area then contact one of the schools in the district you think you might be in to find out what to do. Make sure you do get her transcript from the school she's in now. If she picks up English in school quickly you may want to make sure they keep her on level in things like math if she's done it already.

baby growth

baby

shakesrear
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Thanks for the response - it's a relief. I'm trying not to worry about it yet since it's not a sure thing and we have many other things to worry about before we get to that point like immigration for my husband, selling our house, shipping our things, etc. On top of all that, I'm expecting a baby in April. Whew!

cabyrum
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Sounds quite hectic!!

Just remember they will get her into a K classroom no matter what time of year it is. Registration is early just so they can get an idea of how many kids they will have. I'm outside the bay area but none of the schools even place kids in classrooms until the week before school starts yet registration is in March/April.

I certainly would not worry about her school until it is close to the time, definitely shouldn't be up there on your long list of things to do still! Good luck with the baby and the upcoming HUGE move!

baby growth

baby

rkoloms
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 7:04 AM

The neighborhood school has to accept all residents. You will need to show proof of residency, like a mortgage or lease.

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)