Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2nd grade report card

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

On tuesday afternoon we had parent teacher confrences and we got tori's report card.  Which left me a lil confused.  They said tori was an absolute angel.  She's well behaved she's helpfull of the other students. She's caring and loves to share.  They also said she was the most popular kid in class and some of the students fight over who sits next to her.  They've had to assign days to the children.  They said there was some concern with her academically.  I've known she was having trouble in math.  They are moving on to quickly before she can grasp some things.  We've been working on it at home and i hired my older dd to tutor her. Which I'm begining to see a difference.  But what surprised me was they said she was having some trouble with reading. Spelling however I have noticed she's forgetting some common words.  Her spelling words she's doing well becasue we study them every week. But I found out they are having some other kind of test with words I've never seen.  So I can't help her study for them if I don't know them. But  her reading level seems to be fine to me.  I read with her every day.  I don't really have any experience to pull from. My older dd was reading at a very ealry age long before school.  My son couldnt read at all in his first chance at 2nd grade.  Tori is in the middle somewhere.  The teachers them selves couldnt agree. She has 2 teachers in her classroom.  One said her problem was reading while the other said it was spelling.  Up until now she's never had a problem with her reading.  Both her K and 1st grade teachers always said she was right on target if not a lil above. So i"m a lil confused.   At home she's reading 2nd grade books with ease.  I'm just a lil confused.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
StephanieSH
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Is it her reading comprehension?  It's not uncommon for second graders to fly through books because they can read them but then not have great comprehension skills yet.

LiLi536
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Our schools have stopped spelling tests.  Now the kids have a list of words that they individually spell wrong.  They have to learn how to spell 5 a week .  They also have to give the meaning of the word and put the word in a sentence.  You might try this at home to help with the spelling.

Have the teachers done any testing to tell you the actual reading level that your child has?  Our schools use the DRA.  Our second grader, who is behind, is at an 18.  We are told he needs to be at a 28 at the end of the year.  I also have a 5th grader and a 4 year old.

ldmrmom
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Stephanie beat me to it. ;)  I would ask the teacher to clarify whether she's talking about reading skills or reading comprehension.  Many kids, especially at this age, can read the words but that doesn't mean they're understanding the story.  Around 2nd grade the testing parameters begin to move away from simply 'reading' and closer to 'comprehending.' 

When she's reading at home do you ask her qustions afterwards? If she's got a text book there may be a list of questions before and after the story. Use those. If she's got the little photocopy readers that come home, just ask a few questions related to the story. You want to ask her things that require her to apply themes and concepts from the story and not simply reiterate what she read. In other words, something like, "In the story, the ant worked hard all summer to store up food while the grasshopper enjoyed the summer without working much. Which one do you think made the better choice and why?" or "In the story, Sally was sad. Why was she sad? Have you ever felt like Sally did? If you were her friend, what could you have done to help her feel better?"

Msgme
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Quoting StephanieSH:

Is it her reading comprehension?  It's not uncommon for second graders to fly through books because they can read them but then not have great comprehension skills yet.

Its not her comprehension because they told me she really gets it.  They said she understands more of whats going on in the story than most of the other children. And that she could have an in depth conversation about the story.

They mentioned the list of 500 most comonly used words.  One teacher said she couldnt read them while the other teacher said it was her spelling.  she often spells words the way they sound instead of how they are really spelled.  Like forgetting the Silent E.  But sitting there listening to them contradict eachother left me confused.  She always does well on her spelling tests.  I get them every week. But we study those words all week long.  Its this other test that they are saying that she takes but I have never seen.

They also said her promotion was in jeopardy but her lowest grade was a 2 which means aproaching grade level standards. 2 is aproaching  3 is meeting and 4 is exceeding.  she got 2's and 3's in reading.  3's for science and 4 for ss, gym, computers and behavior and homework.    She didnt get a single 1 which would be below grade level.  My son had lots of 1's when he was her age.  Th ey would of promoted him it was me who had him held back in 2nd grade.  Her math was also 2's but I am aware of her math issues. I sit with her for homework every night so I can see that she needed extra help.  When we do homework or read together she has no problems reading.  I've had so many issues with this school that i'm starting to think they are looking for something to say about her. The way one of the teachers spoke.  Her words were she's such a lovely young lady then went on about how sweet she was then they said but academically the way she said academically. I half expected a report card full of 1's. But it was 2's and mostly 3's and 4's. 

klianemcb2
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM
you shouldn't have left the conference until you got your answer! If you're confused, think of how your dd might feel with these 2 conflicting teachers in the classroom. Spelling is a huge part of reading so I can see how they disagree so easily. It could be that she doesn't put forth the effort to try to spell them properly, this was my dd issue. She got it, comprehended everything but got bored and didn't even bother to look the words up in her little desk dictionary or even check her work.
Msgme
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Her homework every night is to read for 20 minutes.  She reads to me. Then she has to write about the story.  Sometimes she has to write about the problem in the story and how it was fixed.  Sometimes it  is how was the charactor feeling. Sometimes she has to re tell the story. And she always does really well with comprehension.  I do correct her spelling for homework because we talk about the word she mis spelled and we talk about how its spelled and why a word is spelled that way.   They are supposed to be sending me home this word list that they are doing and I plan on going over it with her.   She's just so different than my ot her 2.  Madalyn was really young when she learned how to read.  It wasnt really reading so much.  When she first started K her sight words that she knew from sight was extensive. When she learned to read she would bring me a book and ask me a word. She would then go back to her room and circle that word  in every book she had. And she rememberd every word. She also has an uncanny ability to spell any word she has read.  They moved her up to 1st grade about a week after she started K.  The first parent teacher I had with her 1st grade teacher. Her teacher kept going on and on about what an amazing reader she was.  But I had to tell her she's not reading. She's never had to sound out a word. She knows all the letters and their sounds but never at that point had to sound out a word.  Every word she knew was memorized. She was really young.  When she finished with her books she moved on to my books.  Its kinda like a photographic memory when it comes to words.  And my son was the exact opposite.  Getting him to learn to read was very difficult.  He refused to learn. He wouldnt even try.  It drove me nuts.  The school he was in made it worse.  They were pulling him out of class sometimes as often as 4 times a day with parent volunteers to get him reading help. He would refuse to even try thus getting even further behind in his work. It was a nightmare.  And with tori I thought she was right on track. Right where she is suppose to be. All of a sudden she's not.

Quoting ldmrmom:

Stephanie beat me to it. ;)  I would ask the teacher to clarify whether she's talking about reading skills or reading comprehension.  Many kids, especially at this age, can read the words but that doesn't mean they're understanding the story.  Around 2nd grade the testing parameters begin to move away from simply 'reading' and closer to 'comprehending.' 

When she's reading at home do you ask her qustions afterwards? If she's got a text book there may be a list of questions before and after the story. Use those. If she's got the little photocopy readers that come home, just ask a few questions related to the story. You want to ask her things that require her to apply themes and concepts from the story and not simply reiterate what she read. In other words, something like, "In the story, the ant worked hard all summer to store up food while the grasshopper enjoyed the summer without working much. Which one do you think made the better choice and why?" or "In the story, Sally was sad. Why was she sad? Have you ever felt like Sally did? If you were her friend, what could you have done to help her feel better?"

Msgme
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Quoting klianemcb2:

you shouldn't have left the conference until you got your answer! If you're confused, think of how your dd might feel with these 2 conflicting teachers in the classroom. Spelling is a huge part of reading so I can see how they disagree so easily. It could be that she doesn't put forth the effort to try to spell them properly, this was my dd issue. She got it, comprehended everything but got bored and didn't even bother to look the words up in her little desk dictionary or even check her work.

She doesnt have a dictionary that she can use to look up.  At least not in school.  Apparently she is suppose to just know them.  They said she works really hard and she takes her work seriously.   They actually said they were going to discuss the issue with her today. That she'll take it seriously.  She has several phonics books that we work with at home and she takes to school to do when she has spare time. The teachers have even borrowed them to make photo copies for the whole class to use.   I have printed out a list of the 500 most common words and going to go thru it today with her.  See how she does with reading them.  If she can read them then i'm just gonna work with spelling. 

ROBIN-C
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 1:54 AM

how did she do with the 500 words?

(btw im new, i posted and intro on the admin thread!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)