Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to help my son....

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi!!

I am a stay at home mom and have 3 boys.  A 6 yr old 5 yr old and a 1 yr old.  My question is about my 5 yr old.  He is in kindergarten and is having trouble learning the sounds of letters and when he sees a number it is hard for him to identify what number it is.  He can say his alphabet and count.  I want to help him and get him interested.  It just seems like he just doesn't care.  Is it his age or something else???  He does not turn 6 till June 26th. so he is one of the youngest in the class.  Any ideas???

Thanks

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
famedcheeze
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:36 PM

My son is like that to and somtimes he calls letters numbers so he will be 5 in febuary

Head Start Is updated it has grades from Head Start Preschool Pre K and Grades K-5 so come join us!

Wanna Hang Out with other moms and make Friends?!?!?!? Then come join us!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:48 PM

When my boys were toddlers and we would be at the super market, I'd point out letters, numbers, colors, etc. to them.  Eventually I'd say we are looking for milk, can you find the m.m.m.milk (repeating the beginning sound).  What letter does m.m.m.milk start with?  We need 2 milks help me count them 1 . 2.  Good job.  I did this with everything we bought.  I'm sure people thought I was crazy, but both of my boys new all of their letters and their sounds well before kindergarten.  They could also count to above 100 and were able to recognize and write capital letters, lower case letters, and their numbers.  My youngest is in Kindergarten this year, they are divided into classes by ability and he is in the advanced class.  Unfortunately, he's bored out of his mind.

StephanieSH
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:58 PM

As much as people say they hate DVDs for kids, I have to say that my kids learned a lot from the Leap Frog Letter/Number/Word Factory DVDs. 

RaggedyAnne
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Buy him workbooks. Buy him stickers, when ever he does good reward him. 

mom0f3littleguy
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Thank you for your posts.  I have tried many of those things.  I guess I am starting to wonder if something is wrong.  I think I am going to see if we can get him signed up at a learning center and we can really focus on him and see how he learns.

Thanks again=)

cabyrum
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:25 PM

A website that is great for learning sounds is www.readingeggs.com

They offer a free 14 day (I think, maybe it's 10 days) trial and it's worth it to at least do the free trial. both my kids enjoyed it and with my 5 yr old it gave him the confidence boost he needed that he could read. It is doing the same with my 4 yr old now. She definitely has gained a lot of confidence since trying it out.

Also a fun toy that can help with letters as well is the LeapFrog Click Start. It has a few games that really help with identifiying letters (and learning where they are on the keyboard as well which is a plus).

baby growth

baby

mommatothree01
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Try starfall.com it has the letter sounds and beginning reading.  My 4 yr old uses this in his pre-k class and I've seen a HUGE difference in just a few months.  We also bought the leap frog fridge magnets when they were little, they still play with it now and then.  Ask his teacher as well for some places to go for help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)