Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help!!!!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM
  • 4 Replies

Does anyone feel that the schools are pushing too much on the kids? Im curious, what grade are your kids learning algebra and writing equations? Is 3rd and fourth grade normal?I don't remember doing these until about 6th-7th grade!

My son just flunked his Science test...but they never bring Science home for homework.The teacher has never said that he is doing real bad in Science...how am I supposed to know???

Uhhh, I'm just so frustrated.I feel like I have to teach him everything at home all over again.

Do any moms feel the same way?

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
weaveress
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:39 PM

yes kids are being taught things earlier now than when we were kids. thats why preschool is such a necessary thing now cause kindergarten is now 2nd grade.

case in point: i started my teaching degree seven years ago, long story with many complications but i just finished in may. I have a secondary 6-12 grades degree. The things I want to teach 7th and 8th grade literature based on what I knew as a student my degree is now too high. I need to be in 3rd and 4th grade. a totally different degree.

my daughter is writing math equations and doing basic algebra. a+b=c type stuff.  They just finished three to five number subtraction and our starting multiplication. I didnt do multiplication until 5th grade. In science they are basically doing the biology I did in 7th and 8th grade. They are learning difficult vocabulary words and doing case studies and experiments  in the classroom to illustrate this. She never brings homework home because the teacher prefers to do all work in the classroom. My daughter often has a C on her science work or in vocab she got a D. She is carrying a C overall right now in Science. I can't really help her because she never brings a book or any homework home.

boy on a swingshooting photowearing crownpregnant belly

Calvin David        Photo Freak              Kasi Lynn          Baby

rkoloms
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 7:06 AM

There is more to learn than there was 20 years ago.

The school days are shorter.

The school years are shorter.

No Child Left Behind has added "teaching to the test" to the curriculums, squeezing the time available for learning.

Robin in Chicago

Caitlynnsmom99
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM

My daughter is in 4th grade and struggles everyday!  The way that they teach math now, it much more complex than it needs to be.  When helping her, I show her the way that I was taught and it makes things even harder for her!  What is a parent to do? 

Children need to be children, don't teach them in elementary school what they can be taught in jr high.

banging head into wall 

Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM

To answer your question - yes, my 4th grader is learning those kinds of things in math.  He also has science tests but does not bring homwork home.  Fortunately, he just needs to earn a certain number of points over the year in science to qualify as passing.  So if he failed one test, he would still be doing okay as long as he tries hard and stays focused in class.  They also don't have grades at my son's school.  Instead, he has a progress report.

Fortunately, my son is doing really well, and he's excited about the next math unit being algebra.  So I'm sorry that I don't have any advice or pointers in what you can do to help your child :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)