Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School....which one?

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:01 AM
  • 12 Replies

Poll

Question: Does your child go to public, private or home school?

Options:

Public

Private

Home

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 73

View Results

Just curiosity, does your child go to public school, private school or homeschool? This is just out of curiosity and should not start any drama about which one is better. I am doing a poll and no replies are needed.

teacher

Join us on

Moms with Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Heartlight617
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:04 AM
My son is in public especially because they have SPED. He is Dyslexic. My daughter went to parochial and private. They both got a great education. I'd stick w/ public!
Carol
rkoloms
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:52 AM

My daughter could not get a private or home education anywhere close to the quality of what she is getting in public schools. There is also the added value of diversity: ethnic, religious, socio-economic, etc.; something we especially value living in the most segregated city in the US.

Robin in Chicago

MelyssaR
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Happy homeschoolers here! :-)  Anyone else?

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x298/melsblinkies/sigtags/melyssa/wintermel.gif

happily married 40 year old vegetarian homeschool mom to Brenna, age 10

2girlsMom.MN
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 6:00 PM

My daughter was in a public school that was to diverse. She didn't fit in, she was just a number, she didn't for qualify extra help with reading because we speak English as a first language it just sucked. Not to mention the fact she was bullied, I had a restraining order on another mom/child and it just sucked. The school's interest was making themselves look good for raising the test scores and blah blah with the low income minority, non english speaking kids. They forgot about the typical normal kids like my daughter. If my daughter fell through the cracks noone would have noticed. It's so diverse at this school that the district is trying to break it up and move kids around to different schools to even the district out. Over 50% of the school recieves reduced/free lunches. The kids at the bus stop are always swearing, fighting, messing around, total hellians.

I literally yanked my daughter out of that school on a Friday afternoon out of the blue. I enrolled her in a wonderful Catholic School same day. We aren't even Catholic either. There is still diversity but it's not so diverse that it creates problems. My daughter is no longer a number, her test scores and grades are way way up and she suceeding. She hasn't been picked on or bullied. Her school has higher standards and doesn't put up with all the BS. Her school is strict and in return my daughter's behavior is better. The principal knows me on a first name basis. Her school is a big family. There are alot of misconceptions with private schools they're exspensive the kids are stuck up.. My daughter is there on scholarship I do pay tutition but it's reasonable. The kids at her private school are mostly middle class normal families, they're are some foreign students from other countries but they don't require ESL classes or anything. There are handicapped kids it is diverse but in a broader way.

So I say boooo to public schools at this point. I would love to homeschool but I'm not the type to sit down and  teach.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
denise3680
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM

My kids go to a private school, we live in Puerrto Rico and this school, The Palmas Academy is one of the best on the island and they speak english there.  My kids are doing very well there, we came here not speaking any english adn now both my school agers are almost fluent it is amazing how fast kids learn a new language.  We are military and the military pays for it so we only have to pay for uniforms and the essentials.

lildudesmomma
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 7:06 PM

My (step - ugh I hate that word) daughter goes to a public school and we hate it. Her mother is ok with it because it offers before school care and tutoring. My son goes to a charter school. We LOVE this school. I guess it falls under public because of its funding but its so close to private. It has a limited enrollment and class size. It offers programs others don't (Singapore Math and Micro Society). It is uniformed as well.  It is well disciplined and orderly. The teachers all seem to genuinely care about the kids.

At Diamonds school.... they are herded and the teachers don't even seem to know the kids names. I hate it. Diamond is constantly picked on for her size and racial background. No one does anything. I am not sure her mother puts in any complaints either.... but thats another story all together.

At my sons last school he was bullied so bad. He was hit and beat and dragged off his bike by other kids. Shoved in garbage cans and teased. It finally came down to my son locked in a bathroom stall with 3 other boys. 2 holding him down while the 3 attempted to "rape" him. (the boys words not mine). The boys were suspended. Nothing further was done even tho the police were involved. My son had won a scholorship to a summer program and the boy who was doing the "rape" was also enrolled. I asked that the boy be removed from the program and they refused. I asked for seperate classes for the boy and my son and they refused. They told me they "would keep an eye on it as best they can." I REFUSED. Their best almost got my son raped. Had a teacher not walked past and heard the screams it would have happened. I pulled him out of that school so fast their heads spun. They tried to pull truancy laws on me and things but I had him enrolled in another school pretty quickly. It came down to them not wanting to loose the funding my son brought to that school because of his hearing and processing problems.

So yeah.... no more public schools for us.

I also do after school home schooling with Chris and we do some with Diamond when we have her on the weekends as well.

Multi pic sig
Photobucket
mirandas_mom
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 7:24 PM

My daughter goes to a fantastic public "magnet" school. 

Mommyof3girls07
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 7:42 PM

My daughter went to a Charter School last year and I loved it!!!She got so much out of it and my Kindergartener was supposed to go there this year but we moved and I had to put them in public school and I was so disapointed but my children are actually doing very well and have gotten a couple of awards since being there so I really have no complaints about public school!!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Our 8 year old daughter attends a private school. It is a very traditional Catholic school, but with an advanced curricula. We love love love it!

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

justanotherjen
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM

My kids go to a Catholic school but not really by choice.

We moved back to my dad's house in 2007 and the public school (which is year round and had already started most of their school years--there are 4 different tracks with different months off during the year-- when we moved in July) said they didn't have room for our then 2nd grader.  They wanted to bus her somewhere else but wouldn't tell us what school she would go to.  Our local school is around the corner, about a block away.  We said no thanks.

My dad registered them at the Catholic school and pays their tuition.  This is their 3rd year there.  It's an okay school.  I went through the Catholic school system here so I know the deal.  I didn't go to this school, though, even though it is the closest one to the house we live in (which we moved to when I was 12).  I like that it's a small school.  There are like 250 kids in the entire school from grades Preschool-8th grade with just 1 classroom per grade.  The principal knows me by name and knows the names and grades of all my kids and knows my 3yo daughter's name (she doesn't go to the school).  Most of the teachers know all the kids, even ones that have never been in their grade yet.  The kids all know which kids are siblings and what grades they are in.  It's nice.

But I always feel like an outsider and it's a struggle to balance the religious stuff they are learning since we're atheist (me and my husband, the kids are nothing since they are too young to understand and choose a religion).  But so far we've made it work.  I'm looking forward to a time when we can move and the kids can go to public school (my oldest went to public for kindergarten and 1st grade and it was an awesome school).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)