Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

at what age do kids stop believing in santa?

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM
  • 32 Replies

i have 4 kids ages 11-5 they all still believe in Santa. my question is for my oldest. shes 11 almost 12 and she still believes in Santa just like the younger kids. I'm okay with her believing in Santa as long as she likes. i have 3 nephews 11-15 and they haven't believed in Santa in years. so i was just wondering if anyone has older kids.

by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momoftwins_3
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 9:16 AM

i never taught my kids about santa but i stopped believing when i was 9. sad to say and i wish i didn't do it but i ruined christmas that year for all of the kids in my family.

i say let them believe for as long as they want to

simple smile 

mommy-
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:21 AM

idk my mom told me over chinese food when i was 6. all bad news was told over chinese food in my family lol idk why sorry i cant be of any help

heres a bump for you tho! 

CafeMom Tickers
elananme
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:39 AM

i was wondering this myself.  My dd is 10 and she had a younger brother so i want to keep it as long as possible but my mother told me when i was 10 so I am wondering if i shouldnt let this be the last year for my daughter to believe in santa and just ask her to play along for Ethan ( iactually think she already knows somethings up!)

Come to support your swimmers!!  Swim Team Mommas!!!

SEW MONTHLY http://www.cafemom.com/group/105277

Come see Ethan's Eyes  http://ethanseyes.webs.com/

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:41 AM

My 8 year old asked me (for the first time) directly this year if Santa was real and if he delivered the presents to our house, or if me and dad did it... I told her the truth. I encourage childlike belief and imagination, but will never lie to a direct question. She is excited to this year be a "helper"... she gets to help wrap her baby brother's Santa presents.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mum. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. I am submissive and proud, my husband is head of my home. I am a proud, traditional Roman Catholic, as is my husband... Yes we are teaching our daughter that The Church is the only Church.               Aimee

jlmomto2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2009 at 11:12 AM

My oldest found out a couple of years ago just before he turned 8.  He started asking questions and telling us what the other kids were saying.   We asked him what he thought and he told us Santa was us.  He has been a good Santa helper now for his brother.   Matthew is 6 and still believes.  I found out when I was 6 because someone told me. 

LovinSweetsMama
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I stopped believing when I was 9. My teacher thought she needed to inform the class that he wasn't real.

But I say let them believe as long as they want to.

hholllyy426
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM

I was about 11 when I found out that Santa was my mom and dad. My son is 7 and he still believes for now. Last year he was doubting whether or not he was real, then DH used his cell phone upstairs and called the house phone pretending to be Santa, which confirmed his beliefs in Santa. I'll let him believe as long as I can, it has nothing to do lying to him or anything. Santa has always been around and we like to keep his spirit alive. Santa's real name is St Nicholas which was a real person. :) 

Join us on

Moms with Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

msummey
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Both of my girls still believe in Santa.  My son however does not, I think it was last Christmas that he told me that Santa was actually me.  I did ask him not to tell his sisters and so far he hasn't. 

I don't think I will tell them any different until they ask me.  I can say that the last few years has been really hard to explain since one year they are with their dad on Christmas morning and the next they are with me.  I don't think it will be much longer though.

ashboot
by Member on Dec. 7, 2009 at 6:34 PM

My son is ten and I think he still believes.  Although this year he hasn't talked about Santa as much.  I know a few years ago a lot of his friends were questioning it and I know he told his best friend if you don't believe then it isn't true.  I also know that even if he doesn't believe he will keep up the act for his sister's sake(she's only 21 months).  I don't really want to ask if he believes or doesn't because it'll break my heart if he doesn't....it'll just be another sign of him growing up.  When I was teaching 4th and 5th grade still it was pretty split in the class of the believers and non believers.

StephanieSH
by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 6:46 PM

We're Jewish so Santa isn't part of our holiday tradition.  However, I told my son that Santa is real to those children who believe in him so he shouldn't spoil it for those children.  My son is seven and doesn't believe in the tooth fairy anymore.  He asked me if the tooth fairy is real and instead of lying to him I said "What do you think?".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)