Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommas going to school

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi Mommas,

I am going to school and majoring in Elementary Education and I just don't feel like wanting to go in that direction anymore. It's taking me a bit longer than I wanted to, maybe thats why I am feeling frustrated. I want to change my major but I don't know what. I thought about nursing but that means starting completely over, none of the course I've already taken would qualify. Then I thought about journalism w/ an emphasis in photojournalism, some classes I've taken qualify so thats not the issue. I love to write and take pictures. Currently taking 2 photo classes. But I'm still not sure.

How'd you figure out your major? Is it still something you want to do or having second thoughts? I need to decide soon what I'm doing.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Johnhenrysgirl
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:57 AM

I am going to school to get my Business Associates. Though I am excited to get this degree, I am not sure if it's the only one I would like to get. I understand how you feel. I don't know what to tell you but If you really aren't that interested anymore take sometime off to try to figure out what you want

buzymommy24_7
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:10 AM

I will start my internship next semester. I'm so scared! It has been a very long journey for me as well. I thought about speech pathology or even journalism as well. But then I tutor on the side and everytime I do something educational with the kids I smile and can't see myself doing something else.

I agree with the previous post. Take a step back and see what makes you happy. It's not always easy figuring out what you want. I say just do what your heart already wants you to do.

MYZAJONZ
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:38 AM

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up, lol. I have been working on my General Studies Degree, the good thing about it is that you can tailor you degree as many times as you want and take a variety of classes to see what you are most interested in. With me, my heart isn't set on one specific area so Iike to do a little bit of everything. I wish you the best!   

"It's been a long lesson learned of what my purpose in life is. I am a follower of Jesus, a Wife, and Mother and although I may not perform perfectly, I am greatful for the grace of my Heavenly Father, who blesses me with a chance to start over again each morning. There aren't enough words to express the thanks and love that I have for Him."

Sabella24
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I've changed my major three times already and I'm just in community college right now!! First I was a human services: recreational therapy major, then a film major, and now I'm set to go into the veterinary technology program if I can just finish my basics already including biology for majors.

nei-nei
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I am in school to become an RN, I have been in the medical field 8 years (well, before staying at home) and I am tired of working at walk in clinics making minimum pay. I am 33 and it took forever for me to decide a major. I have alot of classes that will never transfer either (I origionally was a psychology major), but I just sucked it up and went on. I have to be moving around. I can't work at at job where I just sit all day and I LOVE to help people, and I decided from there what I wanted to do. I am a visual learner, so if I can get my basics out of the way, I should do just fine.

Good luck!

darleneb03
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I am taking my classes online and I have been in school now for almost 2 years I started out with business mgmt/child development and then I took a step back and decided that I did not want a Business degree,  but I really love children and working with plus I have taught pre-school at my church. So I decided to go with my heart and change my major to Early Childhood Education. Now I am happen with my major and instead of getting my degree in June 2010 I will get my degree in December 2011. So I would advise you to take fewer classes and see what you really want to. But most of all I would also pray about it as well. 

shop 24/7 at my online store:

www.partylite.biz/darlenebrown

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I'm sorry that I'm no help.  I still haven't figured out what I want to graduate in, and so I haven't been in school for years. 

If you figure it out, would you let me know how you were able to decide? LOL.

I agree that the teaching could be because of the process.  I have a friend that's a school teacher, and it was hard to find the right fit for her after getting her degree.  She is also a single mother, and the first school she was at wanted her to work many volunteer hours that she was unable to do.  So she quit teaching for awhile.  Now that her son is older and in school himself, she's gone back to teaching and is really enjoying it.  I don't know if that information helps at all, but you might want to consider what drove you to teaching and if you still feel that same passion when you're done going through this frustrating time.

StephanieSH
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM

I'm almost 40 and I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.  I am in the middle of a career change.  I practiced law for ten years and then quit to stay home with my son. I now have two kids and hope to go back to work when my youngest is in kindergarten.  I am taking courses to obtain my teaching credential so I can teach high school social science.  I have one more course and then I'm suppposed to start my student teaching next fall. 

kylesmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:35 PM

I was orginally a psych major but realized that wasnt where I would be able to survive in the field so i switched to business admin which had the potential to open more doors 

kylesmom aka Jennifer 

Join us on

Moms with Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)