Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Computer time

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:30 AM
  • 11 Replies

Do you allow your kids to go online?

Do they have their own computer?

How long do you allow them online time?

My kids do not have their own computer yet. They do have our old laptop to use for going on Webkinz only. And they are allowed 30 minutes each on the week days. And one hr during weekends, but 30 minutes then a few hrs break then another 30 minutes.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kandmsm0m
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:44 AM

Mine doesn't have her own yet but I am hoping to get her a laptop next year. She plays on it whenever she wants, I have no time limit. She has to get off  to go to bed or to give me a turn. She plays alot of games and writes stories. She is a good kid makes mostly straight A's gets herself up and ready for school, has since she was 8, so I give her alot of freedom and will as long as she keeps earning it.

hholllyy426
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:03 AM

My son isn't much into the computer, he doesn't have his own. When he gets older and has to use the computer for school he'll get our old desktop but won't have internet on it. He'll have to use my laptop for that under my supervision. He has played a few games on his school's website which they play during computer class at school.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

weaveress
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:13 AM

we have a family computer, and the kids are only allowed on with daddy or i there. i dont think they need their own computer until they are in late middle school when they start doing reports, etc and need to use it to type. even then i may just make them use ours, until they leave for college.

we have youtube song nights. were we all pick music videos to dance and sing too. the kids both have their own email accounts. we check them together and i help them reply. we also go on different kid websites together. i would say they only spend about an hour a week on the computer, excluding youtube night. depending on what time we start that can last three or four hours. its great when cleaning the house. pick a song. clean a room while the song is going. next pick next room.

boy on a swingshooting photowearing crownpregnant belly

Calvin David        Photo Freak              Kasi Lynn          Baby

justanotherjen
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:10 AM

We have an extra computer in the dining room that was supposed to be for the kids but they fought over it so much that my husband hijacked it and it is now his.  The kids are NOT allowed to touch mine.  Neither is my husband because any time someone else uses it they screw it up.

We used to allow them about an hour a day to play on the computer.  We have a bunch of kid games and they have their own accounts on the computer.  But it got to the point that when the hour was up my oldest would throw a huge tantrum.  And when she throws a tantum it rivals any 2yo.  She screams, kicks, hits, yells, throws things, slams doors, etc.  (Right now she is throwing a fit over a bowl...she says her 3yo sister gave it to her, the 3yo says it is hers, she is screaming like a little baby over a freaking bowl--did I mention she is 9 1/2 now).

Then she would get off the computer, throwing things around, and someone else would take their turn.  She would come back and basically take over their turn on it by telling them where to go online, what to play, what to do so they couldn't enjoy their time.  Eventually the younger kids would give up and leave and she would take over completely playing and then when she got in trouble she would throw another fit like a baby.

So we took away computer privleges from everyone.  At first we still tried to let the middle 2 have some time on it but since they couldn't read it wasn't much fun for them and any time they did get on the computer she would have a tantrum and ruin it for them, screaming in their ear the whole time that it wasn't fair.

The middle 2 really didn't care that they couldn't use the computer and their lives went on but the oldest would sneak on it whenever we weren't looking and then lie about it.  So we locked out her account (which had all the internet links saved).  She's not stupid so she just started getting on her sister's account and resaved all the links.  So we had to lock out the entire computer.  So she started sneaking on my dad's old computer in the basement.  She would say she was doing her laundry or using the bathroom down there but was on the computer doing who knows what.

And, yet, she can't figure out why she is in trouble.  She throws huge fits over it because it isn't fair and we are so mean to her by not letting her do whatever she wants (she is still throwing a tantrum over the stupid bowl, refusing to eat with a spoon and screaming about how she hasn't eaten in days...which would be her own fault because there is plenty of food in the house).

My dad has a laptop and when he first got it he let the kids have an hour or so on it and downloaded all sorts of games for them.  But even he got tired of my oldest daughter nonsense and all the bickering and they are now banned from the laptop, too.

Sabella24
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Do you allow your kids to go online?Yes, but only to approved sites we have bookmarked

Do they have their own computer?Not yet, but their grandpa MIGHT be giving them a computer they all have to share.

How long do you allow them online time?Usually about an hour or less a day.

singlemomof2nok
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Yes, they are allowed to go online.  But I have to approve the site.  No they do not have their own computer.  And they spend about 1 to 2 hours a week on the computer. 

banneyrooster
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:31 AM

When my kids get online, I give them alittle more than 30 minutes.  Especially when playing something that helps them learn.  You know yourselves that 30 minutes is NO TIME at all once you get on line.  Time flies by! LOL  So I look at it like that with my children too.  Once they get on and start playing, time flies, so I allow them more time depending on what they are  doing.

If they are doing a school project I give them as long as they need to locate whatever info they need. 

As for my older dd, who is almost 18, I dont time her.  She pretty much gets on and off whenever she wants.  She mostly gets on facebook and frostwire to do songs though.  Which shes usually on no more than an hour anyway.  Same with my son who is almost 16.  But he doesnt get on facebook he doesnt care about sites like that. He looks up cheat codes to his XBOX Live games. lol As far as my 7 year old. He might want to get on some learning game websites or something like that and really I dont time him.  He pretty much determines when hes ready to get off. But the reason why I dont time him is because he is usually only on about 30 minutes to an hour and hes tired of it. I feel if I would time him he would "think" he wanted to stay on longer.  Just because I was "making" him get off.  Same with my 11 year old. 

I know alot say they time their kids, which is fine, but if they are not gonna stay on there for hours and hours at a time I dont see the point in timing them.  As long as they arent looking at inappropriate things. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

dmelyoung
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:08 AM

My kids are allowed to go online. They are each getting their own netbook for Christmas so I need to decide how much time they spend. It will probably be an hour after homework and dinner in the evenings.

Scrappinmomof3
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:14 AM

Does anyone have any good websites for 6, and 9 year olds? The kids use computers at school and keep asking at home..but I wanna know some good sites to bookmark for them..so I can know what they are doing on here. Thanks in advance.

cozycabinmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM

my lil girl is 6 and is allowed to go online to sites like Nick Jr and Sesame Street...she is allowed only 20 minutes per day but does not go on every day... :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)