Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sleep w/ noise?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:33 AM
  • 12 Replies

When your children go to bed do you allow them to turn on the TV or stereo?

I used to allow mine to do that but after watching a few Dr's on tv discuss the downsides of doing that I stopped it.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MyspaceMummy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:43 AM

My 9 yr old ds puts a movie on to fall asleep every night and I shut it off before I go to bed. 

MYZAJONZ
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:47 AM

When my lil one was younger, around 1, the only way I could get her to sleep was to drive her around in the car, after about half hour she was knocked out, later on(3) it was Veggie Tales and Blues Clues videos, then (6) it was Baby Mozart Lullaby CD. Now (9), she can pretty much get to sleep on her own. I do believe with us doing all that it made it easier for us and our daughter to get some sleep at night, rather than having her up late and throwing her schedule all off. I say do whatever works.

"It's been a long lesson learned of what my purpose in life is. I am a follower of Jesus, a Wife, and Mother and although I may not perform perfectly, I am greatful for the grace of my Heavenly Father, who blesses me with a chance to start over again each morning. There aren't enough words to express the thanks and love that I have for Him."

Lavander
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:55 AM

hholllyy426
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:01 AM

Sometimes I put on a cd that has water and animal noise w/ classical music for my son. He loves it and helps him relax and fall asleep. He has an anxiety disorder so it really helps.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

weaveress
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:55 AM

mine both sleep with a fan going, thanks to their father. its magic, i shut the fan off in the morning and they both wake up. when i was a child, i fell asleep with the radio on sleep. 59 minutes of music and then it shut off. i had to have noise to fall asleep. my mom still sleeps with the tv on.

boy on a swingshooting photowearing crownpregnant belly

Calvin David        Photo Freak              Kasi Lynn          Baby

justanotherjen
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:16 AM

No, I think it's a bad habit to get into.  My brother used to listen to the radio without headphones and it would keep me awake all night.

I also think making the hosue absolutely quiet when they sleep as a baby is a bad habit, too.  My parents did that when I was little...no noise at all, no TV near my room, no music, no vacuuming, only talking in whispers.  I'm 33 years old and if I can hear anything like talking anywhere near my room (people, TV, radio, etc) I can't sleep.  I HAVE to have a fan going at all time for white noise and to block out the noise in the rest of the house.  Every little thing wakes me up.  I can't have a roommate, including my husband.  Just his breathing sounds so loud I lie awake at night and cry because I can't sleep (we no longer share a room).

We made it neither too quiet or too noisy when they were little.  We basically just did normal things when they napped (and they usually fell asleep on the living room floor as babies).  They can fall asleep under any conditions but need no TV or anything.  They don't even have a TV and when they did it wasn't allowed to be on after bedtime.  It got taken away because they kept turning it on at night and staying up until 10 or 11pm watching movies instead (it was only hooked to the DVD player).  The TV is in my room now.

epilepsymom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:28 AM

absouletly.  We have changed it though.  I used to let her fall asleep listening to a cd and would put it on repeat so it would play all night.  Now its on only for her to fall asleep.  When I go to bed I shut it off.

I was always told to have things the same from when they go to bed to when they wake up so I was hesitant on stopping the cd but she doesnt seem to notice and is fine.  She just needs the noise to fall asleep.

CaLizzyMom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:20 AM

DS (7) gets to listen to a CD (has a sleep timer) because we can't close the door to his room, the cat likes to sleep with him.  DD (4) doesn't have anything on in her room, but, we can close her door.

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Nope, we've always made sure his room is quiet.  He wont go to s;eep if he's that distracted.

beachbride
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:28 AM

My oldest 11 y/o DD grew up sleeping in my room where there is a TV on all night. If not I can hear everything outside. Now she turns the TV off at bedtime and sleeps fine, and on the weekend she is allowed to leave the TV on as long as she wants (which usually means all night). She doesnt have problems sleeping either way. DS 6 m/o sleeps in our room and the TV is always on. He hasnt had any trouble sleeping. At the baby-sitters she has it totally quiet for the babies to sleep and he sleeps fine there too. I guess you just have to get them use to different setting when they are young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)