• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Practice testing

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:40 AM
  • 5 Replies

So if you have prior knowledge to when a test is going to be at school, do you make up a practice test to help your child study?

If so does it help?

My son hates when I make him study by taking a few practice test I make. I do it for science, math, reading, english and even spelling. But it seems to work, because my 2 oldest are on honor roll with straight A's.

I make them practice writing their new spelling words 10 times each the first day they receive the list. Then Tue ~ Thur. 5 times each. And on Wed. I test them. And test them in the morning before the test at school but orally during breakfast and on our walk to the school. They have never missed a word on the test yet.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hholllyy426
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:05 AM

My son has a spelling test every friday so when he brings his words home I give him a practice test to see which ones he knows and which ones we need to work on. Then on Thursday I'll give him another one, it really helps him. 

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

kylesmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:52 PM

We review just about every day with index cards 

kylesmom aka Jennifer 

Join us on

Moms with Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

justanotherjen
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I've made my oldest do problems out of her math book that weren't assigned because she is so awful in basic math.  She was told to work on the review test at the end of the chapter (but didn't have to turn anything in so she didn't want to do it).  I made her do the whole thing and then do problems from the rest of the chapter to review.  She was ticked.

For the most part, though, I don't do much when they have tests.  I have my 2nd grader review his spelling words.  It's one of his best subjects so he doesn't have to study much.  He usually knows all the words already.

I have to drill my 1st grader on her words but she usually catches them really fast and after a few run throughs knows them all.  I let the 4th grader study on her own unless she is having trouble with a subject.  I don't usually know when she is having a test because she never writes it down.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Dec. 16, 2009 at 12:05 AM

bump 

IMAMOM2-2KIDS
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Right now all we have are spelling and math. He is fine with the math(he just cant go to fast) but the spelling I have t reveiw and "test" him on them. If we do them every day he does great! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)