• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TV / Video time

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:48 AM
  • 14 Replies

How much TV time do you allow?

How much video game playing time do you allow?

Does the video playing count as TV time?

Is this something they have to earn?

Do they have a TV or Game console in their room?

Do you enforce the TV / Video game time when they have a play date or sleepover?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hholllyy426
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 3:59 AM

My son watches tv or plays a video game about an hour a day. Yes he has a system in his room, DH doesn't like giving up the tv. He has to get his homework and stuff done before he can play. 

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

weaveress
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 5:07 AM

my kids have unlimited tv/game playing time. their media things are in their playroom. my kids usually only watch half an hour in the morning before school and a couple hours at night. and its never just watching tv. they run around, play with toys, etc while the tv is on. on weekends, cartoons are on most of the day or daddy is playing a video game. when we are home. weekends are always a little crazy around here. i guess it varies from day to day.

i grew up in a home where each of us(4 kids, plus mom) had our own tv with cable, vcr, game system in our bedroom plus one in the living room. we watched or played as much as we wanted, except when grounded.

DH grew up in a home with 2 brothers and they had the media stuff in their family room and a tv in their living room. Parents trumped kids, so if his parents wanted to watch different shows. the boys didnt have a tv.

so we kindof combined our two experiences, i dont like the things in their room because they arent allowed in their bedroom except to dress and sleep. So we gave them a tv in their playroom, where they can watch movies or play games. They don't have dish programming in there. They have to watch regular tv programs with me or daddy in the living room. 

boy on a swingshooting photowearing crownpregnant belly

Calvin David        Photo Freak              Kasi Lynn          Baby

amzbrznjz
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM

I answered you phone ? now here it is for videos games...my DS age 6 has been able toplay videogames since he was 1, father is a video game freak.  I allow the same as I do with the phone....one hour after homework before dinner and one hour after dinner, he can split the time anyway he desires but that is it!

Tam12483
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:51 AM

my son is 9 .. I allow him an hour a day on the computer.. he likes playing games on it. TV issnt an issue with him he watches maybe an hr a day of that. I take away computer privileges  if he acts up or talks back. Because it is just that , a privilege and he knows it is something he has to earn by having a good attitude and doing his homework 1st.

he does have a tv in his room and he watches it for about 30mins before bedtime. for what i like to call chill out time.. When he has a sleepover I do not allow video games, kids often fight over them and it causes a problem.. they can go outside and play. I let them watch a movie before going to bed to chill out .. I like my son to spend more time outside then inside playing on the computer or watching tv..  i think there are so many kids who are over weight bc parents just  turn on the tv and let them sit and watch it while eating a bag of chips.

kmdart
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM

#1 i wouldnt say there is an amount of time. just depends on weather it seems like theyve spent too much time . day to day

#2 one hour

#3 no

#4 no but they can deffinately lose it.

#5no

#6they dont go anywhere, but i would say probably not.but when they do other activities it usually means no vidio games. ie karate on mon & wed means no wii on those days. we try to limit the from one activity to the next to the next to the next type of situation. lo's tend to get wound up in the continual loop of entertain me constantly. so we make them entertain themselves a bit.

Blinkies Blinkies Blinkies Blinkies Blinkies Blinkies
CaLizzyMom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:06 PM

On normal school days DS gets to watch 2 cartoons or 1 movie or 30 minutes on the game system after school .  If he has homework (not an everyday occurance, they do homework differently at his school), then he only gets 1 cartoon (30 minutes).  If he has homework more than 2 days in a row, then he doesn't get any cartoons (like I said, they do homework differently, so it is unusual for him to have any).   If he watches TV he doesn't play video game and vice versa.  I don't include my TV as his TV time, he loves to watch Iron Chef and Science Channel with us, but that is only after dinner.

He doesn't have a TV in his room and the PS2 is in our bedroom (no satellite hook-up, just game). 

These rules don't really apply on weekends, only on school days.  So they wouldn't really apply during sleepovers. 

kylesmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM

1 hour 

kylesmom aka Jennifer 

Join us on

Moms with Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

sherwins.girl
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:04 PM

my boys, 7 and 5 dont get any video games during the week..  my 5 year old may get to watch a movie after lunch..  computer is mostly just learning games...  weekends they can watch movies more often..

we dont have cable anymore so no one watches tv  ;) 

Wife to the hottest Army Recruiter around and mom to the best looking kids... Aiden, Hunter and Liv. 

Please spay/neuter your pets...  Everyday thousands of dogs, cat, puppies and kittens are euthanized simply because there aren't enough homes.  Adopt a shelter pet or choose a responsible breeder.

rygr1975
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:33 PM

my kids get about 30  - 45 minutes of screen time a day.  They can choose their video game, computer, or t.v.  I think to many parents use the t.v. as a babysitter or b/c they don't feel like doing things with their children.  I teach middle school and there is often a big difference (socially and in academics) between the children that don't spend hours in front of the t.v. and video game stuff.  Real life does have its advantages. 

supermama2my3
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:57 PM

How much TV time do you allow?

My son watches tv on and off all day. Its on but he isnt always watching! Same with the girls when they get home. They are only aloud to watch tv in their room after 6pm so the girls get 3 horus but they dont just sit and watch that hole 3 hours

How much video game playing time do you allow?

untill they start fighting which is probably about an hour of them changeing the game and stuff

Does the video playing count as TV time?

Is this something they have to earn?

no but they sure do get it taken away!

Do they have a TV or Game console in their room?

TV

Do you enforce the TV / Video game time when they have a play date or sleepover?

only thing I enforce is NO INTERNET  and no texting while at someone elses house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)