Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My little boy is not so little anymore.. :(

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:08 AM
  • 9 Replies

I knew the time would come eventually... but so soon? Really?

He's a "big boy" now. He's 5 y/o and in Kindergarten. He's always been a pretty independent child but def now more than ever. But what he said to me this morning signified the reality that my little boy is not so little anymore...

We walk into the main entrance of the school and as we're headed to his classroom, there's these two boys [I'd say no older than 7 or 8 y/o] walking to their classes unaccompanied by their parents. My son sees this, turns to me and whispers "Pretend you're not my mom."

Whattttt?! '_'

Once we were clear of any other kids I asked him why he would say that and his response is, "Because I want to be a big boy."

I am losing my little boy! Ahhhh. Daddy says I should have smothered him with kisses but I don't want to be THAT mom. I will have accept that my child is growing up.. it's a part of life. I will suffer in silence, ha ha, and hope that behind closed doors.. he still loves his mommy.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Aww, such a bitter sweet moment.  And my SO would have announced he was his father to embarrass our son had they said that and then kissed him on the check, lol.

I remember when my middle son didn't want me to hug him good bye in preschool b/c he was to old for them. I was about to give him a hug and kiss on his check and he whispered, please don't mom I am too old for those. I honored his request and just said bye. I cried in the car. Not b/c I was sad but b/c he was becoming a big boy.:0( Although he allows me to give him a hug or cheek kiss before leaving the house.

My oldest doesn't care if I give him a hug or kiss in front of friends. He said it's b/c I am his mom and that's just what moms do when they love you. :0)

My youngest hasn't expressed not wanting a hug or kiss from me yet.:0>

All my boys refuse bedtime if we don't give them a hug/kiss before they get into bed.

MommyRovi
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Oh, he refuses to sleep unless we both give him hugs, kisses and exchange a couple I love you's :) and at home, I cannot get him off of me!

But that's apparently NOT okay in front of other kids. He's such a boy, I tell ya.

Quoting kmrtigger:

Aww, such a bitter sweet moment.  And my SO would have announced he was his father to embarrass our son had they said that and then kissed him on the check, lol.

I remember when my middle son didn't want me to hug him good bye in preschool b/c he was to old for them. I was about to give him a hug and kiss on his check and he whispered, please don't mom I am too old for those. I honored his request and just said bye. I cried in the car. Not b/c I was sad but b/c he was becoming a big boy.:0( Although he allows me to give him a hug or cheek kiss before leaving the house.

My oldest doesn't care if I give him a hug or kiss in front of friends. He said it's b/c I am his mom and that's just what moms do when they love you. :0)

My youngest hasn't expressed not wanting a hug or kiss from me yet.:0>

All my boys refuse bedtime if we don't give them a hug/kiss before they get into bed.

sandie66
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Sweet. My son will be 16 on Thursday and I love to embarrass him to death. Granted, he doesn't like it too much, but I do. They'll be 40 and still be our little boys!! 

Zakysmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:47 AM

When my son was in first grade he instructed me to LEAVE after I dropped him off, he didn't want me hanging around the playground watching him, I was soo offended lol.  Now my "little" boy is 6'1" and 16 years old :(

MommyRovi
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM

16?! I don't even want to THINK about that right now. Ha ha. I was totally dumbfounded when he said it. My heart sunk. I'm a mush!

beachbride
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:53 AM

My little boy is only 6 months old, so I will hug and kiss on him all I can before he gets to be a "big boy". I guess girls are different because my DD is 11 y/o and she hugs and kisses everyone (me & dad, aunts and uncles, g-ma & g-pa, church friends, the list goes on).

My best friend has 2 boys (12 & 14 y/o) and if they get in trouble for talking back or being mean to her, that is their punishment. They have to give her a hug & kiss. (LOL) I know the younger one would anyway if noone knew about it, but he has to be a tough guy if anyone is around.

Zakysmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Quoting MommyRovi:

16?! I don't even want to THINK about that right now. Ha ha. I was totally dumbfounded when he said it. My heart sunk. I'm a mush!

LOL, trust me I try NOT to think about it too.  But luckily he's still pretty affectionate, still tells me he loves me and hugs me, even in front of his friends.  My daughter is 10, she's NOT embarassed of me YET, but I'm sure that day will come lol

kylesmom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:49 PM

its part of them growing up and getting there independence 

kylesmom aka Jennifer 

Join us on

Moms with Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

hholllyy426
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I completely know how you're feeling. My son will be 8 next month and he's in this stage between toys and older stuff. It was so hard to buy for him this Christmas. He is starting to watch football and he's learning the game pretty good. Now he wants body spray and he's into girls, oh ayayay. Just recently he did things that reminded me of the little boy he was and I just cried. I am not ready for him to grow up, wish they could stay little forever, lol. But there are times that he still needs me and I am glad for that.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)