Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome to the first Question of the Week!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM
  • 90 Replies

Happy Monday Moms of Elementary School Kids!!

I hope that the weekly question will lead to great conversations and friendships.

Remember, this is your group! If you have any suggestions for QOTW (or anything else), feel free to pass them on to one of the mods or the group owner.

Now, on to the question!

If there was one thing that you could change about your child's school, what would it be? If you have worked for a change at your child's school, what is the change, what were your successes and frustrations?

Ok, let's get chatting!!

Robin in Chicago

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amanda6
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM

The biggest challenge for almost every school is the class size. Because of school's budgets, staff is at a minimum and class sizes range from 23-30 kids per class. There is hardly enough time in a day to get any one on one time with every child. Even the children who are advanced academically still need one on one time. So if I could change one thing, it would be for the state to increase school's budgets, giving the schools more money to hire more teachers and making classroom sizes smaller.

The next thing I would change, is all the switching of classrooms for different subjects at such an early age. We are making our 3, 4, 5, 6 graders do what junior and senior high kids do, switch classes. Why cant we let them be little kids, not force them to grow up so fast and keep the kids in the same class with the same teacher all dang day? Junior and Senior high happen fast enough! Trust me I know!

IhartU
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I'm basically happy with both the elementary and high school my children attend. I have only small issues like with parking and lack of a band (the elementary school is k-8). I think our Principal and teachers go out of their way to make sure each child has individual attention and help is needed. 

suark
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I love my sons school. We are very fortunate and send him to a Catholic school. He gets very individualized attention and care.

The school is small and the classroom size is great. He has 19 kids in his class so with the teacher and the parapro its great!

simple smile

darcyh5
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I love the school my kids go to, and basiclly have no complaints.  I went there, and went so far as to buy a house in the district so my kids could go there.  And hey, bonus, they bus!

The one thing I absolutely hate, is the menus.  They get way to many processed foods, fried foods (who needs fries, tater tots and wedges all in one calender week?).  Last May, they had chicken 3 out of 5 days for the entire month, most of it being nuggets.  I know they want the kids to eat the food and not throw it, but isn't that part of the hot lunch program, teaching them to eat healthy?

I do complain pretty regularly, to the teachers, the aids, I even do daycare for one of the school board members, unfortunately, I have always had conflicting plans to attend PTO this year, but I will be attending the next meeting.  I do see that they are interested in planting fruit trees and a garden on site.  I think this is spectacular, as it is a rural school, and also having a vending machine with fresh fruits and veggies.  They also had a wellness challange this fall with prizes of Y memberships and Wii/Wii Fit packages.

When I went there, everything and I mean everything down to the bread and peanut butter were homemade.  Not anymore.  Which is how I cook about 80% of the time, so I was really excited about that.  That being said, the menu is still better than the public schools in town.

penny201
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I'm very 'on the ball' with everything at my kids school. Teachers and staff don't give me a second glance when they see me walking down the halls. My problem with the school is that some of the kids get left out of things because they have difficulty fitting in. I have always tough my kids to help others, but I see so many kids ignoring other kids or making fun of them.

I did get a chance to see a 6th grade class 'buddy up' with a kindergarten class last week for ther Christmas shopping, and it was so nice, teaching them to help other students. I think that when there is a child in the classroom with a disability then the teacher should assign a 'buddy' each day for that child instead of just letting him/her be ignored. It will become a job that the students want to have. 

Penny         

elananme
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I would make them have longer lunches smaller classes in my sons school and in my daughters school i would make mandatory counseling for anyone accused of bullying!

Come to support your swimmers!!  Swim Team Mommas!!!

SEW MONTHLY http://www.cafemom.com/group/105277

Come see Ethan's Eyes  http://ethanseyes.webs.com/

mommyk5
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:58 AM

So far I like the school, but I HATE the parking issues, and the drop off and pick up issues.  My DD is in the afternoon Kindergarten class, and there is no parking at the school, and most of the side streets surrounding the school have no parking either.  So, I have to park 2 to 3 blocks away, and bring my 3 yr old and 15 month old with me to walk DD to class, and the class is only 2.5 hrs long, so by the time I get back to the car go home and start doing something, I have to get the kids back into the car, park 3 blocks away from school, and get everyone out and walk to get DD.  It is VERY annoying, especially in the cold weather!  The thing that is annoying to me the most is, there is a line of cars that can pick up kids from the front of school, but I can't do that, because the kindergarten teachers stand by the playground and wait to see a parent in person before they let the kids go. (I know it is for safety, but why can't they stand by the street and see us in the car?)  IDK, Maybe I am lazy, but it is all new to me, and a pain in the butt.

CaLizzyMom
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Quoting darcyh5:

I love the school my kids go to, and basiclly have no complaints.  I went there, and went so far as to buy a house in the district so my kids could go there. 

We did exactly the same thing.  I love my DS's school and I know many of the teachers from my days there. 

My only real complaint is the lack of involvement in our Parent Connection (our PTO).  Out of 170 students in the school only 7-10 parents show up at our monthly meetings, and most of them are also teachers.  I wish they would change the time of the meetings so that more people would be able to attend.

miisha
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:24 PM

The one thing I would change at my son's school is the discipline. As it is now, there is none. When a student gets in trouble there is no consquence. They just get talked to. We just have to tell them, "thats not ok" and thats it. I work for the school. And I hate when I have to do that. I am working on changing that. I myself, give the students time out's or have them pick up trash in the lunch area durring lunch, of course after they eat. It doesn't matter what they have done. I once had a student try to break my fingers and the next day he was out at recess playing. Granted, he is a kinder and has anger issues but he still should have a few days at least of no recess or something. I could go on and on about this. This is what really bugs me about the school. But I have heard this is going to change. So I am hopefull that this will change. And the students will have consquences to their actions. Some of our students have no or little respect for authority, which I believe is because its not taught at home, but if we as school staff can't teach because of this policy, then where are these students going to learn it?

I have been able to get through to a few students. The one that tried to break my fingers, is now giving me hugs and telling me im his favorite teacher. Although im not teacher. lol And I believe thats because im not giving up on him and im sticking to a discipline plan for his behavior. I will stop here because I can keeping going about this policy. lol

Miisha
darcyh5
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I agree with the time thing.  Ours starts at 6pm,  I have daycare kids at my house till 5:30 and sometimes DH is not home by then, and the school is 12 miles out of town.  I understand not wanting to waste the whole evening, but even 6:15 or 6:30 would be so much more convenient.

Quoting CaLizzyMom:

Quoting darcyh5:

I love the school my kids go to, and basiclly have no complaints.  I went there, and went so far as to buy a house in the district so my kids could go there. 

We did exactly the same thing.  I love my DS's school and I know many of the teachers from my days there. 

My only real complaint is the lack of involvement in our Parent Connection (our PTO).  Out of 170 students in the school only 7-10 parents show up at our monthly meetings, and most of them are also teachers.  I wish they would change the time of the meetings so that more people would be able to attend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)