Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about adhd

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am going to have to have my son tested for adhd and am wondering if there are any moms who have kids with it. his teacher says that he knows everything its just hard to get him to focus his grades are pretty good,but he's getting in trouble nearly every day in school. his math grade went from a 90 to a 74. and he is great at math. not sure whats going on. hoping to get some advice from a mother who goes through the same thing.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lrkasper
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM

I know what you are going through. My DS is in 2nd grade this year and he was diagnosed in Kindergarten with ADHD. The hyper active part does not come out very often but on occasion.

My DS was having problems in school but not getting into trouble. He is very smart but like yours has a very hard time concentrating. We just moved and the kids had to change school districts and his new teacher is very experienced and working well with him. Since we started the new school his grades and his attitude have improved.

I guess my advice to you would be to keep in close contact with his teacher. My son has a little bit different reward system than the rest of his class mates and that seems to help. But it is different for each kid.

Also be careful what and how you medicate him if you chose to. My DS was on Stratera and clonidine starting at the end of Kindergarten and it helped for awhile. This last summer the new doctor wanted to re-evaluate his meds since they were not working anymore and decided to switch his meds around and put him on concerta and clonidine. He had a bad reaction to the concerta so now I am leary of putting him on anything else. He is still on the clonidine because without it he can't sleep at night but that is the only med we have him on.

Between getting a good nights sleep and working with his teacher he is finally starting to excel at school again. Anyway talk to his teacher and work out a plan most teachers have seen enough of this that they kinda have some ideas as to what to do to help the child succeed.

hholllyy426
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:57 PM

My son is 7, 2nd grade and was diganosed with Adhd in kindergarten and this past summer was diagnosed with Odd and Anxiety disorder. He has both the inattentiveness and the hyperactivity. He is below grade level on everything and his behavior could be a whole lot better. He does take medication which helps but he does still have some moments. He had to see the principal the 2nd week of school. I have taken psych classes to help me understand better what he's going through, I am going to school full time as well. Got anymore questions feel free to pm me.  

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

koltensmom
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Well, I can tell you from experience, my stepson is 11 1/2....He was diagnosed in Kindergarten. It started when he was falling out of his seat between 5 & 10 times a day the teacher said we should have him tested. We had him on many different medications (you need to be careful of weight loss with most of these) My pediatrician is awesome and worked closely with us as well. He was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD & OCD.

The biggest thing that I learned is that ADHD is a co-morbid condition, which means that it almost always comes with another condition....3 years ago he held my then 2 year old son down and choked him...he did other things like punch and kick his sisters, he would sneak around at night when he thought we were all sleeping ( I sleep with one eye open, because I do not trust him) We had him to the bipolar clinic and they said he shows all the signs except sexual tendencies and until he shows them they can't diagnose him as bipolar but they did put him on the medication. We have 2 daughters 10 & 9 and 2 younger boys 4 & 6 months..We have custody of him but since the choking incident we sent him to live with his Bio-mom and we get him every other weekend. 

He is very mean to my 4 year old, 2 weeks ago he bit him and drew blood so, I sent him home... He doesn't listen to save his life and we usually send his sisters away the weekends!

Stay up on the behaviors and keep a journal of the things he does this way when you meet with a psycologist you will have it all written down fand won't be forgetting anything, also be aware the psychiatrists only prescribe meds they don't really do much else it is the psycologist that will work with you and your child. If you ever want to talk or vent I am here, we went through 3 psychiatrists and 3 psycologists before we found one we liked.

Can your son sit still for more than 1 minute? That is one of the signs, ours has to move some part of his body or make noises can't sit still or quiet for  even 10 seconds.

rkoloms
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:53 AM

There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.

You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy

My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Robin in Chicago

hholllyy426
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:48 AM

That site is very interesting, something I haven't seen or read and I've done a ton of research and have books and everything. We tried the Feingold diet and other stuff, makes not difference on my son at all, it may help some.

Quoting rkoloms:

There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.

You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (http://www.feingold.org/ ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy

My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

felicia156
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM

thank you for the advice. lucky my son does not have anything but the focusing and can't sit still problem. he knows everything he just can't seem to focus or sit still. he has to constantly be moving.

CrazedMomof2
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Good luck! I hope you can get the help you are looking for.

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

cowboygal
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2009 at 12:00 PM

My son was diagnosed with ADHD at the begging of November.  He was put on Concerta and did pretty well on the low dose (18mg) and for some stupid reason the doctor insisted on raising it to 36 mg.  The first day he threw up for an hour and a half. We stopped the dose and decided to try a different route other than meds.

This signature is very tall. Try to keep it shorter than this green section.
qtmomof2
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM

My 4th grader has adhd and was diagnosed in 2nd grade (I kinda knew before then). I was the parent who did not want to medicate ...I really felt like it wasn't for us (hence waiting till 2nd grade to test). Her grades starting dropping drastically ...and now I'm happy to report her last report card was 1 B and the rest A's. She had perfect conduct too!! When I went to the last parent/teacher conferences she literally said to me "I have not one bad thing to say about your daughter, she is a pleasure to have in class, and she's very smart" :-)

MamaElfie
by on Dec. 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Having him tested is a great idea. There are a lot of options out there for people with ADD and ADHD anymore. There are counselors who specialize in it, and there are a wide range of medications out there.

My son, who is 10 in on Concerta. He does really well on it. It helps him focus, and be feel more "in control". I can sure tell a big difference on the days when he forgets to take his meds, and the days he is on it. So can he.

I can also tell you from a personal point of view the difference medication, and knowing what is going on can make. I was diganosied when I was in 2nd grade. I was on Ritalin for years. I was amazed. It didn't feel like I had to work quite as hard to keep up with the other kids. I was able to focus my attention and energy towards my school work, and was not so easily distracted.

But because I was so young when I found out, I also was able to learn to really pay attention to how my mind worked. For example, to this day, the more tired or stressed out I am, the more easily I am distracted. Sometimes I can't help going off on a little side tracked train of thought or whatever. But I am much more aware of when I am doing it, and so therefor able to get myself back to where I need to be.

I just suggest working with your doctors and your son's teachers. That way everyone is on the same page.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)