Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Helping my girl.

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM
  • 11 Replies

My DD 6 is in the first grade and I can't get her listen for crap.  I know she was not doing very well in school because they get red cards when they have been bad she has gotten a few sent home.  Well I just got a phone call from her teacher and she wanted me to talk to DD.  Well the teacher informed me that, she tried to cut a girls hair, and clothes.  She stuck a pencil down a glue stick and has been off the walls all day.(ok I wrote this in another group last week, so here is more)  The teacher called yet again and she was being horrible again.  She kept a list of everything she did wrong on the 10th.  The list was 3 pages long.  Some was stupid stuff, however, how do I punish her for stuff she does at school?  I have tried extra chores.  Grounding from game systems, being stuck in her room.  The teacher does not think she is ADD or ADHD (though I am having her tested).  Apparently she just gets bored because well she is smart.  DH and I have talked about putting her into a Private School. 

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamaslilpunkin
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:09 PM

How are her grades?If she has excellent grades,then perhaps she is bored and needs something a bit more challenging.Does she tell you why she does naughty things in school?Do you think she is rebellious by nature or is it just a school thing?

Lilypie
mbrackett
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Her grades are ok.  And she is very rebellious at home.  She just does not want to listen and is very High Spirited, Stubborn and Independant so that does not help.

Quoting mamaslilpunkin:

How are her grades?If she has excellent grades,then perhaps she is bored and needs something a bit more challenging.Does she tell you why she does naughty things in school?Do you think she is rebellious by nature or is it just a school thing?

LilMom2Three218
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Hello, I just read your post and I tried to let my son go w/o adhd medicine up until 2nd grade. He wasn't really getting in trouble but he is unable to focus in school and complete tasks. If you can, go w/o add medicine..I'm now going to have to take my son to a play therapist because he's not improving in school. I think he doesn't like or respect his teacher either. He has written little notes saying he doesn't like her and he never did that with his other teachers. Good luck though. I hate saying put her on medicine if she truly doesn't need it.  

koltensmom
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:20 AM

My son did some of those same things and was diagnosed w/ ADHD, ODD & OCD...putting him on medication was the best thing we did, it didn't take away all the behavior but, we would give it to him as soon as he woke up so that it had enough time to get into his system before school and it would last until dinnertime. They have come along way with medication since he was diagnosed 6 years ago.  You may also talk to the principal and guidance counselor about placing her with teachers that are experienced in handling childrens with ADHD.

It is definately a trying condition, as I am high strung and have a hard time dealing with him. But, it is manageable, and you just need to watch your daughter's weight if you put her on meds!  As for the ODD there isn't any drugs that can fix that, I just took things away from him and would put them in garbage bags and in the attic and he would have to earn things back! Some of our family members call me the Warden because I am very strict and on him all the time but, when he is older and living on his own he needs to know how to control himself and that there is boundaries!

If you want to talk, vent, scream or anything message me!

mbrackett
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:26 AM

The Dr. said she needed a strick schedule to help her out.  I have not heard of ODD what is that?

Quoting koltensmom:

My son did some of those same things and was diagnosed w/ ADHD, ODD & OCD...putting him on medication was the best thing we did, it didn't take away all the behavior but, we would give it to him as soon as he woke up so that it had enough time to get into his system before school and it would last until dinnertime. They have come along way with medication since he was diagnosed 6 years ago.  You may also talk to the principal and guidance counselor about placing her with teachers that are experienced in handling childrens with ADHD.

It is definately a trying condition, as I am high strung and have a hard time dealing with him. But, it is manageable, and you just need to watch your daughter's weight if you put her on meds!  As for the ODD there isn't any drugs that can fix that, I just took things away from him and would put them in garbage bags and in the attic and he would have to earn things back! Some of our family members call me the Warden because I am very strict and on him all the time but, when he is older and living on his own he needs to know how to control himself and that there is boundaries!

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:32 AM

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oppositional-defiant-disorder/DS00630

Quoting mbrackett:

The Dr. said she needed a strick schedule to help her out.  I have not heard of ODD what is that?

Quoting koltensmom:

rkoloms
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:44 AM

This sounds so much like my daughter in kindergarten and 1st grade. There were two issues with Alyssa. The biggest was that she was bored. She was on waiting lists for academically advanced school; her test scores were lowered because she has an August birthday (September 1 is the school cutoff).

The second issue was her attention span. We saw no point in getting her tested; we didn't want her labeled and her attention issues were not close to being serious enough to medicated her.

There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/ . You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy

My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Robin in Chicago

mbrackett
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Oh thank you for the link :)

Quoting kmrtigger:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oppositional-defiant-disorder/DS00630

Quoting mbrackett:

Quoting koltensmom:

mbrackett
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:47 AM

Thank you for these as well I will look them over.  And her diet I will say is not very good.  I honeslty can't cook.  So I just throw stuff in the oven or get McDonald's for dinner.

Quoting rkoloms:

This sounds so much like my daughter in kindergarten and 1st grade. There were two issues with Alyssa. The biggest was that she was bored. She was on waiting lists for academically advanced school; her test scores were lowered because she has an August birthday (September 1 is the school cutoff).

The second issue was her attention span. We saw no point in getting her tested; we didn't want her labeled and her attention issues were not close to being serious enough to medicated her.

There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/ . You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (http://www.feingold.org/ ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy

My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

pluma69
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:48 AM

OCD.... I have that, it is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)