• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please read I'm losing it with dd!!

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM
  • 22 Replies

So my dd will be 7 in a few months and yesterday she had a CRAZY moment. We were at walmart and she was all over the place so I asked her nicely about 10 times please stop, please come here,Please don't do that and she did not stop! I went down to eye level and told her lets go. She did not want to move and was sticking out her tongue and mocking me. I was so mad I told her she was not going to the school party for Christmas and she slap me so I tried to grab her and she was kick and plussing and SCREAM everyone was looking at me like I was abusing her. So in one of those I grab her by the hair and tried to pick her up to carry her to the car and leave. Well a cop stop me and all .. After explaining to her what happen she just let us go. This is not the first time she has done this. Last time I punished her and I feel like I lose control of her.Any advice??

Also I told her she will have no party at school and no Christmas. Do you think this is to much to take away from her? She is punished in her room with no toys or tv.

Should I take her to see a Dr?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma0ffive
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:21 PM

holy crap! that is extreme,  honey in my house if my child behaves that way they get a spanking.....  i know that doesnt work for everyone and i'm not puchign my techniques on anyone... so haters please keep ur comments to yourself.   

taking your dd to a dr.  sounds like a really good idea if you dont know what else to do.  You are by no means being to hard on her, she needs to learn that her behavior is unacceptable..... get a hold of it now or it is sure to only get worst down the road ( like when she is a teenager) there is NO excuse for her hitting you she should be showing you respect

i hope things get better i would take my child to the dr. especialy if this is an on going thing. there could be something seriously bothering her,  maybe she would feel more comfortable talking to another adult

i wish u the best

Tam12483
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:23 PM

you need to ask her if something is bother her. kids act out when they having an issue or not getting enough attention bc maybe youve been extra busy latley. your daughter acting out is a cry for help.. a cry for attention. She will take any kind of attention she can get and bad attention is the easist to give sometimes.

My son is 9 and he used to do this same stuff, scream and throw a fit at a store and when we got home he would hug me and say sorry mommy i love you.. which would make me feel bad for punshing him .. he knew how to work me! I then read up on it and asked my therapist what to do! She told me the same stuff i said above and I also started a behavior chart. A list of things he was supposed to do and if he did them i would praise him and give him a treat at the end of the week.. weither this treat being watching a movie with just me, or helping me with dinner or baking cookies.. something postive that he liked doing with just his mommy ..  it doesnt always have to be something you can buy. Kids just want that extra little bit of your attention to let them know they are special and you love them.

good luck.. and no you dont need to see a dr.. you need positive reinforcement. A change in the way you guys talk to eachother. ALso let he know it hurts your feelings when she acts like that in a store, and you dont like it when your feelings are hurt.

Hisbabymama0309
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Thank you so much ladies.. What bothers me is that beside the crazy moment she a straight A student .

jbrown
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM

My ds,8, did this to me yeaterday at a Meijer. I have never been so embarised in ALL of my life. I called his dad, we live about 5 min from the store, to come get him. I left my dd, 6, with my sister in the store and carried him out of the store, kicking and screaming. He was yelling that I was not his mom, and had everyone stoping me to make sure that I was not trying to kidnap him. He got his butt spanked when he got home AND all of his toys, tv, ect taken away from him until he can earn them back with better behavior.

DanosGirl
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

My youngest brother was like that.  He would hit and kick my mom and throw tantrums like I've never seen.  I was about 16 at the time so he was about your DDs age.  They tried so many things and ended up taking him to a psychyatrist and that helped.

/lilypie.com">Lilypie Breastfeeding Tickertp://lilypie.com">Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Tam12483
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM

my son is also a straigh a student .. its simply behavior issues .. i really really recomend the behavior chart .. it saved my life!

celestegood
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I would firmly say we don't act this way, then take the child home.  Leave the groceries in the store if you didn't buy them.  Let them/you calm down, and tell your child in simple terms that it's not ok to act like that in a store.  I would then take away a priviledge.  And from then on, praise positive behavior.  Bottom line, I would tell the child you're not going to the store with me if you can't be a good boy/girl.  And if they do it again?  Start over at the beginning-leave, firmly saying we don't act like that at the store.  And take a priviledge away.  Don't let them go with you to store anymore for a while.  It takes time to break this cycle.

dmelyoung
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Quoting celestegood:

I would firmly say we don't act this way, then take the child home.  Leave the groceries in the store if you didn't buy them.  Let them/you calm down, and tell your child in simple terms that it's not ok to act like that in a store.  I would then take away a priviledge.  And from then on, praise positive behavior.  Bottom line, I would tell the child you're not going to the store with me if you can't be a good boy/girl.  And if they do it again?  Start over at the beginning-leave, firmly saying we don't act like that at the store.  And take a priviledge away.  Don't let them go with you to store anymore for a while.  It takes time to break this cycle.

I'm not saying that this isnt a good idea. It just made me think what if this is what the child wants and they are acting out because they dont want to go to the store. You are giving them what they want when all they need to do is verbally express their feelings.

MZ_CANDY
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:01 PM

i would spank that azz. she does that  because she is in public. my son used to do that until i would take his butt and whip him right where he was  or in the restrooom. girl stick too your guns and let them know what u say u mean. dont go back on what u say. also explain why they not getting what they were suppose to have because of the way they were acting.

Kriket2202
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Maybe I am WAAAY out of line but when the hell did cops start stopping parents and questioning them about discipline. I swear to you whenever I heard "let's go to Wal-Mart" I thought it was code for some one's going to get beat. I think you did just the right thing by carrying her out of the store and grounding her. But I'm not sure about taking away Christmas. I would give her only clothes and the like though, not toys. I always made mine write letters to me (since they were grounded and had nothing else to do) in order to "earn" back certain privileges that were already planned, like parties or outings. But rest assured, sister, they were grounded before and after those events. As far as how to stop it, I'm sorry, I got nothin'. I think (hope) that she'll grow out of it and that you're just going to have to be more stubborn than she is until that time.

On a not-so-dark side, at least being that strong-willed, she won't be taken advantage of easily, right? Isn't that what we all want for our little girls?

shrugging

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)