Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD IS 8 WITH AN ATTITUDE

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:07 PM
  • 10 Replies

hI ANY1 HAVE A 8 YR OLD DD OR NEAR THAT AGE. I have seen my dd act out real sassy to me within the yr she listens mostly to her Dad. Is it the age I heard girls are sassier with their moms. She asked me the other day what was se* I wanted to throw myself on the floor I didn't know how to respond she said the new boy in school wrote her a letter and it said that! Can you believe that really I don't hold myself as the best parent but I sure don;t teach or let my dkids see or hear things like that. I'm wondering if her behaviors from school.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hholllyy426
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:32 PM

My son is 7 and knows about sex. Yes he did learn these things at school from other kids but I explained to him the right things. There is nothing wrong with kids this age learning about sex as long as it's age appropriate. And my son has an attitude as well. I hope it's just a phase. Sorry no girls here.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

sammie27
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I have an 8 yr DD. I know what you mean about the attitude. My DD has no problem yelling at me. Her and her bother both say they have had sex. When I ask them what the word "sex" means they don't know. I have started talk to my DD about female issues. I have noticed that her attitude is worse while I am on my monthly. My mom and I have been talking along with DD's doctor. We all have decided that it will not be long before she starts going through the change.

mommyofone802
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:02 PM

My daughter is 8, and my nephew is 5 months older, i believe it is an age issue, she has an attitude and my sister says he does too. she doesn't hesitate to back sass me even though she gets in trouble. and kids these days know a lot more than i ever did at that age. my daughter says things that just floors me and i try to answer her as best as i can. we drove by a strip club the other day and she said look a titty bar. when asked what happens there she replied they dance naked on the tables. thanks to my little brother for the info. music and tv have  a lot of influence on kids. i remember asking my parents at that age whats a virgin, thanks to madonna. lol. my parents still comment on this.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:20 PM

I was trying to figure out what se* was.  Then I read other posts and discovered you were meaning SEX.  It is not a bad, dirty word.  We've all done it.  At 8 your dd is starting to grow up and mature and is testing her boundaries.  She is figuring out how to treat others and is trying to deal with her hormones.  It is normal.  My son has a major attitude as well.  I try to remember that it is all part of growing up, it usually helps keep me calm at least.  BTW - you should be discussing sex and your dd's changing body with her before she starts her period and thinks she is dying or something.  Ask your doctor for books on the subject to get you started.

mamacalifornia
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:21 PM

My dd is 7 and has the worst attitude ever!! She is so sassy it is unbelivable! Yes she knows about sex because of the dang tv!!! Is there any advice from anyone on how to deal with it?

ladymarvn
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Quoting mamacalifornia:

My dd is 7 and has the worst attitude ever!! She is so sassy it is unbelivable! Yes she knows about sex because of the dang tv!!! Is there any advice from anyone on how to deal with it?

My son is nine and knows all about sex from his friends.  One friend in particular my mom and I agree he's been exposed to mature movies in some way.  I use it as an opportunity to talk about how sex is a loving act between two responsible adults.  That sometimes people have sex and end up with a baby they weren't ready for.  Or they don't pick the right partner and have nothing but heartbreak.  As far as the TV I have the most basic cable you can have.  And because I don't watch much the kids don't either.  We put on DVDs instead.  My biggest worry? Online violent video games. Parental controls don't always work.  This is a big source of arguing since my son thinks he can handle these games.  And yes my kid is sassy.  I tell him he can talk to me without being rude.  If he gets really bad I tell him if he wants to play on my computer he better lose the attitude.  It works to a degree.

I am a good enough mom.  My opinions on parenting tactics change minute by minute depending on my mood and the situation.  I feel if the kids are still alive and fed by the end of the day I've done my job.  I am a Goofy Goober (see the Spongebob Movie). I believe in singing and other things that embarass your children. When my kids say I'm the meanest parent ever I take it as a compliment.  I've often yearned to box up my kids and ship them to Timbuktu.  I feel the best thing about having kids is reliving childhood.  I have a career and I'm proud of it.  You can mess with me and get away with it but God help you if you hurt my kids.  We are all flying by the seat of our pants with nothing but love to guide us.

CrazedMomof2
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I have a 7 year old who is young in school so all of her friends are starting to turn 8. She can have the worst attitude ever. I just sent her to her room and tell her she can come out when she acts normal LOL.

*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

rkoloms
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Eight is when the hormones start kicking in, sending the attitude through the roof!

When you daughter asks you a question like "what is sex", you need to take a deep breath, ask her what she thinks it is, and correct any misinformation. Don't discourage her from speaking with you. It is ok to let her know that you are a little uncomfortable with the topic and it is great for her to see that you don't let your discomfort stop you.

Robin in Chicago

vlester
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM

my son had a bad atttude he makes me so gggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

LaJoanna
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Thanx for your stories girls my dd isn't really to mature so I told her its kissing and hugging and other stuff when she's older I'll adapt it. But I told her that that is something you should do when you are married and want a baby. That all boys want to do is kiss and thats nasty because you can get sick whivh is true with mono lol ( I told her that because her cousin tried kissing her she is 7 ) I told her that is something you don't do. Not normal kissing like full on his mom isn't all there so unfortunatly he is misguided.  As she gets older and I think she will be able to understand the info I tell her ) She is 8 but thinks a bit younger .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)