• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you also have a pre-schooler or toddler?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:35 PM
  • 15 Replies

What do you do with them while your older child is doing homework.  I try to give my almost four year old her own "homework" to give her something to do while my son is working on his homework.  However, by 3:00 my daughter is crabby and it's hard to give my son the attention he needs while he's doing his homework.  What do you do with your younger child?

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chaiangel
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I do the same with letting the little one do stuff to. Sometimes if my little one is tired, I will allow them some time to play together and unwind before having that quiet sit down time. It seems to help my 4 yr old not be so needy while I help the older one with his homework.

xo

H

RMORALES62403
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:43 PM
i have a 21 month old he goes to day care and they give "HW" to color cause there teaching color if hes done with that i have puzzles he sits and does

My Babys Jose & Rosalin

honeylv143
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:46 PM

We have a 7 year old (boy) in 2nd grade and an almost 4 year old (girl) that just started pre-school.  Both my husband and I work full time so we don't see our kids until after 5 pm.  When we get home, it's usually a combo of homework, cooking dinner, baths and bedtime.  By the time we see our kids, my son is usually finished with his homework or almost finished with his homework.  One of us has to prepare dinner (cook, buy or whatever), while the other deals with the kids.  We've sat our 4 yo down with worksheets at the table while her Big Bro is doing his work.  He has to read a book every night so sometimes he'll read a story to his little sister.  Or, if there's a lot of work to do and we really need to keep the little one busy, I'll let her help me in the kitchen or we'll set her up with a video (we try not to do the video thing too often though).  She's also starting to get acquainted with the computer, so we'll let her get onto Nickjr.com or a similar site. 

Good luck!

Karen S. - Mommy of 2: Enjoying life as a mommy and wife!giving mom gift

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:55 PM

When my youngest wasn't yet in school, I'd have him play quietly in his room while his brother did his homework at the kitchen table, and I made dinner.

LovinSweetsMama
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:46 PM

He is either resting or playing quietly in his room.

justanotherjen
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM

I have 3 kids in elementary school (4th, 2nd and 1st grades) and a preschooler who is 3 1/2.

She usually just colors while the kids do their homework.  It only takes my son (the 2nd grader) a few minutes to do his homework and then the 2 of them play.

On Tuesday and Thursday she has school and doesn't get home until 3pm (the other kids get out at 2:20pm).  On those days she works on her homework with them.

supermama2my3
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:51 PM

my pre-schooler is usually running around playing or watching tv

JillianF
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I have a two year old and a seven year old.  The two year old will watch a movie or play in his room while I help with homework and cook dinner.  He of course doesn't always cooperate so I find him stuff to do that looks like sissy's homework and that makes him happy.  It is hard sometimes to give my 7 yr old the quiet she needs to concentrate.

moms rock

nursetina
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 7:06 AM

It's very difficult for me, as a single mom. I try to get my 3 yo dd to watch tv & my 15 month old son I usually feed him while my 6  yo dd is doing her homework. That way he is in his booster seat.

momof3armywife
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:10 AM

My daughter is 4 years old and is in Pre-k. She goes to an elementary school which has a pre-k class. they give her homework every night. and she kind of falls in line when my older 2 are doing their homework.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)