Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you always understand how to do your child's homework?

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM
  • 39 Replies

I'll be honest, sometimes I cannot figure out how they are teaching second grade math.  I understand how to do the math problem but I don't understand how they are teaching the kids to get to the answer.  The worksheets often provide examples but they are sometimes confusing.  I don't want to teach my son to do the problem the wrong way.  For example, I told my son to "borrow" from the tens column but apparently they don't call it that anymore.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hholllyy426
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Yeah, they don't do the borrowing anymore. The whole math curriculum changed at my son's school this year. I've been going to school to be a teacher so I kinda understand what they are doing, it changed to the new one after I completed my math courses, I do have one more though so I'll learn the new one.  But for the most part he does his math the way he knows and he has explained it to me the way he does it at school.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

Zakysmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Luckily my husband is a genius, so the kids learned early on that if they have a question they go to him lol.  School was never my best subject

queenpmommy
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:55 PM

So far I have not had that problem but my mom stopped helping me when I was in second grade and I came home with an F on a paper she helped me with

ginny1965
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:58 PM

My ds understands the "Borrowing" and thats what we call it and I beleive thats what his teacher calls it too and he is third grade although they are also teaching begining algabra too and thats where I'm lost ! Thank goodness for other ppl around me who now their math !

When he yell's " I hate you !" ,  When he slams doors , When he is ornery

No matter what it is, I will aways

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:00 PM

My son does his own homework (3rd grade).  If he has a question about what he is supposed to be doing I answer it, but he needs to solve his own math problems - it's not my job to do his homework.  Children learn by doing and I let him do it on his own.

batjmom
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I can't believe how much it has changed.   I have a son in 2nd grade and one in 3rd grade.   I use the family letters they send home on how to help....  Your not alone on this one. 

StephanieSH
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM

That's a great idea that they send home family letters on how to help. 

Quoting batjmom:

I can't believe how much it has changed.   I have a son in 2nd grade and one in 3rd grade.   I use the family letters they send home on how to help....  Your not alone on this one. 

StephanieSH
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I agree.  I definitely let him solve his own math problems and just answer his questions if he needs help.  I don't tell him how to do it.  I ran into this problem when he was absent from school for two days because he was sick.  I picked up his homework and he hadn't been at school to hear the teacher's instructions on how to do the work.  I read it over and over again and I couldn't figure out how they were teaching them to get to the right answer.  I just told him to do his best and then to ask for clarification from the teacher when he returned to school.

Quoting steelcrazy:

My son does his own homework (3rd grade).  If he has a question about what he is supposed to be doing I answer it, but he needs to solve his own math problems - it's not my job to do his homework.  Children learn by doing and I let him do it on his own.

lexismum03
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I still understand dd's she is in 1st grade. Now a couple years ago my sisters brought home work home and they were being taught to work the multiplication problems from left to right...which is completely oppisite from what we learned and it looked to me to be a whole lot more work. They asked me to help them one day and I was like well for one you are doing it wrong...I got the argument no that is the way the teacher said to do it. lol it was BEYOND me! 

mommykaryn
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I have a grade 3 and I can't understand this new math, as the call it. Why to complicated sometimes for me. But that is what her Daddy is for. He is really good at Math.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)