Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

missing school piog

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

I would love some opinions on what happened today

Today was a late start due to snow, when we left to walk my son to school, we got about a block before I decided we would not be going. We had about 5 inches of snow and it was getting packed in between the front wheels of the stroller and making it so they would not turn. We have to walk about 9-10 blocks to the school, it takes about 15 minutes each way and the only place that may have been shoveled is in front of the school. My daughter is atleast 12 pounds and I have been having bak trouble  since she was born so walking wasn't really an option. Today was my sons christmas program so we would have had to walk back down at 1:30, about 3 hours later for that. With the late start and program my son didn't miss much at school.  But I feel really bad about him not going, this is the second day he has missed this year. We are getting a diffrent type of stroller so this won't happen again.

Now my issue, my husband is upset about my son missing school. He thinks I should have walked himthere still, and since the stroller would not work on the side walk he said I should have walked in the road. Half the way that would not have been to bad since it is side roads, but the other half is a main road while people are dropping their kids off and picking them up. Am I the only one who thinks that would not be safe.

Just needed to vent. thanks for listening.

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma0ffive
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM

i dont think it would have been safe at all..... tell ur hubby to walk him if he doesnt like your choice you got to take care of yourself too,....

hholllyy426
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 10:51 PM

I wouldn't walk on a major street by myself let alone have a kid with me. It's even worse having snow, a car could have sled towards you. I definitely think you made the right choice. Just wondering, you don't have a car to drive him during winter? Nothing wrong w/ walking, DS and I are gonna have to do that for two weeks in January. I hope we don't get really bad snow during that time. 

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

justanotherjen
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM

We've had to walk in the streets before to get to school.  Usually it's because of severe ice on the sidewalks (the streets usually get salted when we get ice).  It's pretty funny to see me and 3 small kids trying to make our way in the tire tracks without being hit by morons.  They are side streets but they are busy and people all drive like idiots.

That being said, if I don't feel it's safe we don't go.  There was one day that black ice was covering all the sidewalks.  It was so slippery my middle daughter fell twice until I forced her into the snow to walk.  We got half way to school and I was about to have them turn back when I realized the street had less ice and we went that way.  But if it had been just as slippery they would have skipped school that day.

And there were 2 days last school year that I kept them home.  The temperature in our area dropped to -35F with a windchill of -45F.  It's a 10 minute walk to school and my kids' coats aren't rated for those temps even with hoodies underneath.  There was no way I was taking them out and risking frost bite.  I even told the secretary that they weren't sick but I felt it was too cold to go to school.  She agreed and left it at that.  I ended up ruining my son's perfect attendance for the year.

All the other schools except ours and the public schools were closed.

There were also a couple times when my oldest was in kindergarten that I kept her home.  We were living in PA at the time and she constantly had late starts.  she was already in PM kindergarten and a late start meant the bus picked her up at 12:30pm instead of 11:30am.  And classes got done at 3pm but they ate lunch for 30 minutes right after getting to school.  It just didn't seem worth it to send her for 2 hours of class.

hill2
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Well first of all 2 days is not bad at all so its not like he has missed a ton. I agree with you and think you made the right decision and I would of probably done the same. My SO is the same though about them missing. One day I took my son out 30min early because our car had no air we live in Az and it was in the 100's I was going by the school and it seemed stupid to go home just to turn around and come back or too wait in the heat when me and his sisters had been in it all day. He was only in kinder and never had missed a day. this was last year. OMG his dad threw a fit because I took him out!

othermom
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I don't drive and my husband works sat-sun-monday. He is home to take him the other 4 days a week. So it is only on mondays that we have to walk.  So luckly there are only 6 more days this winter to walk him till march. My son is going to be bummed, they canceled school today.

Quoting hholllyy426:

I wouldn't walk on a major street by myself let alone have a kid with me. It's even worse having snow, a car could have sled towards you. I definitely think you made the right choice. Just wondering, you don't have a car to drive him during winter? Nothing wrong w/ walking, DS and I are gonna have to do that for two weeks in January. I hope we don't get really bad snow during that time. 

twinsin1998
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Any one who would want his wife and kids walking in the streets are nuts.  He needs his head examined.  What would he do if all three of you got hit. I say better to be safe then sorry.

Momoftwinsin98

ErikaRobin
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I wish I could fix this for you.  Just on those Mondays, you know?  I definitely support your choice to keep him home while the sidewalks aren't cleared and not to endanger your lives by walking in the street. 

Hubby may need to go into work later on those Mondays, or perhaps you can have a friend pick up the little man on their way to drop their kids off at school.  He must have a classmate that lives nearby whose parent does drive. 

Wishing for the best!   

othermom
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:47 AM

He leaves a little after 4 am on mondays because he works out if town. All the kids I know in our neighborhood walk, we don't know anyone here well either. But like I said I will be getting a diffrent stroller, a jogging stroller with large wheels before I have to walk him again so it shouldn't be a problem again.

Quoting ErikaRobin:

I wish I could fix this for you.  Just on those Mondays, you know?  I definitely support your choice to keep him home while the sidewalks aren't cleared and not to endanger your lives by walking in the street. 

Hubby may need to go into work later on those Mondays, or perhaps you can have a friend pick up the little man on their way to drop their kids off at school.  He must have a classmate that lives nearby whose parent does drive. 

Wishing for the best!   

AstuteMama
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:12 AM

I agree with your decision about keeping your son home from school because it wasn't safe for you to walk on the sidewalks. If the stroller can't be pushed in the snow and the wheels won't turn, that is a lot worse on your back then caring your little one the 30 minute roundtrip walk to and from school. Your husband is nuts if he thinks that you and your children should walk in the streets to get your son to school. The schools understand if you choose to keep your child home from school because of the weather. I know last year we had some 2-hour late starts at my boys school and there were a lot of students that didn't go to school because their parents decided it was just not safe for them to go to school. I'm luck my boys ride a school bus to school so I don't have to worry about walking them to and from school right now. In my situtations is if isn't not safe for me to get around with my motorized wheelchair then it's not safe for my boys to walk anywhere. So I completely understand where your coming from with the fact that the stroller wheels wouldn't turn in the snow. Your husband will just have to trusted your decision about keeping your son home from school, especially on late start days. Your son missing a few days of school due to bad weather isn't going to hurt his education and the school work can be made up.

you rock

Rhonda

Barabell
by Barbara on Dec. 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Given how little school your son has missed, I don't understand the big deal---especially because it did sound like a safety issue.

I wouldn't have walked in the street.  If a car driving by hit a patch of ice, they might not have been able to control their car.  Plus, we encourage our kid to stay on the sidewalks and only cross the street after looking both ways.  It could be a bad message to send to your kids to walk in the street.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)