Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question of the Week, Week 4!! Healthy Eating

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:31 AM
  • 17 Replies

We see lots of references to "healthy eating". How do you define it? Do you think that it really benefits people, especially kids?

As always, this is your group. If there is a topic that you would like to discuss with all of us, please send it on to me!

Robin in Chicago

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elananme
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I define healthy eating as a well balanced diet.  Yes i think it does benefit everyone.  My problem is that some people think healthy eating means absolutely no snacks or treats.  To me halthy eating is having a  moderate amount of everything and limited amounts or heavy fats and sugars. so a few cookies every now and again is fine as long as its only every now and again not three times a day. 

Come to support your swimmers!!  Swim Team Mommas!!!

SEW MONTHLY http://www.cafemom.com/group/105277

Come see Ethan's Eyes  http://ethanseyes.webs.com/

justanotherjen
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Quoting elananme:

I define healthy eating as a well balanced diet.  Yes i think it does benefit everyone.  My problem is that some people think healthy eating means absolutely no snacks or treats.  To me halthy eating is having a  moderate amount of everything and limited amounts or heavy fats and sugars. so a few cookies every now and again is fine as long as its only every now and again not three times a day. 

Totally agree.  I think my kids eat pretty healthy.  They love their fruits and veggies.  We almost always eat lean meat, we substitute ground turkey for hamburger a lot (because I prefer the taste in theose dishes), I don't allow them a lot of salt or butter on their stuff (even if I still use it).  And on the flip side they get the occasional bag of chips, cookies (especially at the holidays), ice cream, etc.

But when it comes to snacks, 9 times out of 10 my kids will choose the healthy snack even when other snacks are available.  The other day we had apples in the house plus a huge bowl of Christmas cookies.  All 4 of them begged and begged to have the apples.  They would have taken the cookies if I offered them but they really, really wanted the apples.  We can't keep fresh fruit in the house.  A huge thing of grapes will be devoured in less then an hour and my 3yo loves to munch on those grape tomatoes (the 2 of us can finish off a 1lb container in about 2 days).

There are days, weeks that we eat like crap (mostly because I'm too tired to cook) but when I'm feeling well I think we eat pretty healthy.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Bump for sticky, and I think it's Week 4?

rkoloms
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 7:26 AM

Quoting Barabell:

Bump for sticky, and I think it's Week 4?

So it is...

Robin in Chicago

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I agree with pp....Eating a well balanced diet is beneficial for the whole family.You can eat junk once in a while or special occasion's..but not everyday.. My kids Love fruits and veggies so they eat pretty well.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I would have to agree with the other posters here as having a balanced meal.  We try to have a meat, a potato and a veggie at suppertime.  Unless we are eating a pasta dish.  My kids will also choose an apple or what fresh fruit I buy when I do buy onhand over a bowl of ice cream. 

family in the van   Mom of four

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Quoting rkoloms:

We see lots of references to "healthy eating". How do you define it?

I define healthy eating by making sure to include the recommended amounts from the food chart each day. And very little salt or sugar if any. I also believe in PORTION control. I serve all the kids meals on those small dessert plates. And I load over half the plate with veggies or fruit, and a small portion of meat. And I offer more water than juice for them to drink. So if they ask for a second helping of lunch or dinner I suggest they have a tall glass of water and give the tummy a rest. If they still feel hungry then I give them a bit more to eat a half hour later.

Do you think that it really benefits people, especially kids?

Yes, I think it benefits people. It keeps you live healthy and fit. And by teaching our children at a young age we are providing them with the tools they need to stay healthy for years to come. We're giving them a lifestyle to live by as well. A great habit that will be hard to break for the better.

Rogue35
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I think it is better to eat right and I also think you feel better too.

rogue35

Rushn311
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I think a balanced meal is healthy eating. Cookies etc is okay in moderation. Water is best, but a cup of juice and milk aren't going to hurt you cause they have vitamins in them too. I wish my kids did eat more fruit though...as well as veggies.

morningdove831
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Quoting elananme:

I totally agree.  Moderation is key.  I don't believe in any of the fad diets, like Atkins or South Beach, etc.  Unless one is an insulin-dependent diabetic, totally eliminating carbs is not good for our bodies.  And even diabetics need to consume (a limited number of) carbs every day. 

I'm working on losing 10 lbs.  Instead of totally cutting any particular food out of my diet, I'm just eating smaller portions.  It works, and I don't feel deprived of the foods I like. 

I think "healthy eating" simply means a balanced diet.  For example, DS takes his lunch to school every day.  He either takes a cheese sandwich or a PB&J sandwich.  (We don't eat lunch meats because of the sodium nitrites which are highly carcinogenic).  He also takes fresh strawberries & grapes (if strawberries are not in season, he'll take some other fruit), along with a small bottle of water.  He LOVES this lunch and even his teacher commented that it's one of the healthiest lunches she sees her students eat each day.  He loves snacking on fruits too.  The only green veggie he'll eat is broccoli, but I'll take what I can get, LOL! 

There's nothing wrong with foods like chips, cookies, etc., as long as they are consumed in moderation, just like Elananme said. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)