Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Class Pet

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

No, I don't mean the teacher's favorite kid in the classroom, lol.

Does your child(ren) have a class pet? (IE: hamster, mouse,bird, fish, turtle, etc.)

Does the class take turns bringing it home on the weekends or holiday breaks?

Does the teacher chose a student to keep the pet at the end of the year?

Would you let your child have the class pet if chosen?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Our school has a strict NO Animals policy, except for the students. lol  Our school is newer and they have many rules that are supposed to keep the building looking nice for many years to come.  Besides that, rodent type pets can be a fire hazard if they got out and started to chew on wires.

Of course service dogs are permitted.

Mom of two boys ages 9 (third grade) and 6 (kindergarten)

drinking  baseball  playing soccer  puppy

bugnbeesmomrae
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM

As of now, the only class pet my girls have spoke of is with my oldest daughter and it has been fish and they don't bring them home over a weekend or holiday. As for what happens to them at the end of the school year...you got me?  

Soccer Mom to 2 girls

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Bump for more replies. 

Johnhenrysgirl
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM

My daughter does not have an animal in her classroom. I remember when I was in elem and brought home a guinea pig. It was neat. Though my daughter is only in Kinder..

Annasmom1230
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM

My daughters school is only allowed to have fish.  Because there are alot of kids with allergies.  The pet dander is what sets them off including my DH and many of her classmates.

kissingAnnasmom1230

rkoloms
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Yuck! When my daughter was in 5th grade, we had the hedgehog over spring break. Dumbest pet ever...

Robin in Chicago

montana722
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Robin,

I'm a 5th grade teacher, and I've considered having a hedgehog as a class pet, just because they are so unusual.  I've had bad luck with rabbits, don't want nocturnal critters (hamsters, etc.), and I'm not a fan of reptiles for multiple reasons.  If you don't mind elaborating, what didn't you like about the hedgehog? I don't really know much about them, and would have research them further before I felt comfortable taking them into my classroom.

I usually keep the class pets at the end of the school year and "recycle" them the next year.  :)

SherriPontious
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 3:21 PM

LOL, my best friend in college had a hedge hog.  I thought it was pretty cool - they live in cages or aquariums the same way a hampster was, and they're just a little bit bigger than that.  You have to wear gloves to pick them up because if they get frightened they'll poke you with their little spikes.  But my friends was really tame so she'd let it out to play.

My daughter's class used to have a rabbit.  The teacher decided that she didn't want to take care of it anymore.  Now I have a rabbit.  Sigh

(In all honesty, he's a great little rabbit :))

Quoting rkoloms:

Yuck! When my daughter was in 5th grade, we had the hedgehog over spring break. Dumbest pet ever...

~SB~

StephanieSH
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 3:23 PM

No and thank goodness he doesn't have to bring one home.

iheartgaia
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM

my sons k class has a snake....i dont remember what kind he is but his name is zack.  the snake doesnt ever go home with anyone.  & they wrote letters to santa asking for 2 hamsters for christmas.  so i assume there are now hamsters in his class, but today is his first day back so im sure hell verify when he gets home in a bit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)