Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What kind of activies..

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM
  • 25 Replies you have your kids in.  When tris was in Kindergarten I had him in Tae Kwon Do. He loved it but it was crazy expensive.  Now I've got him in cubscouts which he loves.

He has a lot of energy and needs direction.  Someone said to sign him up or competitive swimming.   And I know he wants to play soccer. No idea where to go cause his school doesn't have any of that stuff.  I went the city parks but they really weren't helpful.  Any ideas?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I let my daughter pick really. She did soccer when she was younger and basketball one season. But her school offers things in the fall and spring and she likes to sign up for anything she can perform in. She's been in the school chorus for 2 years now and wants to continue it next year (middle school). She's been involved in the school newspaper and stuff like that too.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM

My dd is in: swimming, violin, girl scouts, baton, chorus,

My son is in: tumbling baseball and football in the fall.

Come to support your swimmers!!  Swim Team Mommas!!!

Come see Ethan's Eyes

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Do you have a YMCA near you? They have great programs that promote team work and not just winning. My kids played soccer there and it was really inexpensive. I think it was $50 for the season and that included their their jersey and end of year trophy.

We have little girls and they are involved in ballet, tap, jazz and gymnastics, It gets very expensive, so I know where you are coming from.

by Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I have let my son pick. He has done boys gymnastics, basketball. soccer,  and art.  He really loves soccer. He now does traveling soccer.  He loves to run and it seems to be the right sport for him. Since I started doing 5 k walks he has gotten interested in them too.  He likes the physical part of sports. He always tells me that it makes him feel better to run.   We found out about soccer through the newspaper and the Internet.  He loves art classes too. A local group offers art classes to kids that first Saturdayof the month. They also offer art camp.  My son has chosen some sports that we have known nothing about, but we have decided to let him try and see if he likes them. Soccer was one of those sports. 

by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:39 PM

We are very lucky that our school and town offer lots of sports/activities.  My boys do Cub Scouts and play baseball.  My oldest is taking music lessons and learning to play the clarinet.

We also have football, basketball, soccer, tennis, art classes, dance classes, gymnastics, swmming lessons, etc.  We also have a YMCA near by that offers alot as well.

Mom of two boys ages 9 (third grade) and 6 (kindergarten)

drinking  baseball  playing soccer  puppy

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I don't believe in scheduling kids into upteen activities.

This winter the only one doing an activity is my 7yo who is in Girl Scouts.  Normally they take 1 or 2 classes at the park but we rarely make it to most of the winter classes because of the weather so I didn't sign them up this time.

In the fall my son (now 8) took floor hockey (his favorite class).  My middle daughter (now 7) took gymnastics.  It's her 2nd year in the class.  And my youngest daughter (3) took a gymnastics class for 3-5 year olds and participated in half of the classes for the big girls (they all think she is adorable stretching with them and doing her rolls).  My 7yo was also in Girl Scouts in the fall.

Their classes meet once a week for 1 hour each time.  Girl Scouts is every other Tuesday after school.  If it wasn't for the park offering cheap classes (they are $10 a class and run for about 10 weeks) they wouldn't take anything.  Even Girl Scouts pushes our budget limits.  It's $12 to sign up and our troop is $40 a year in dues which we always struggle to come up with (last year I had 2 girls in so had to come up with $80 and they want it before Christmas).  She's a Daisy and still doesn't have an apron.  Her leader felt so bad for her that she gave her an old Daisy t-shirt she had so she could have something for their award day at the end of the year.

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:57 PM

My son is in cub scouts also. This is his second year. He also loves it. They are a very active troop.

The other activity my son does is fencing. He takes fencing classes on Sat mornings. This was a complete shock to me when he came up with that one. He saw a demostration for it at a carnival and fell in love with it. He just turned 9 on the 28th of Dec.

green ribbonThe green ribbon is the color for Tourette's Syndrom awareness!!!

by Barbara on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM

For soccer, try this organization:

My son does hockey, through USA hockey.  He also does a summer soccer program through a local neighborhood organization that another parent at my son's school told me about.  My son also does cub scouts, and I really like that.

by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 8:37 PM

as of right now, my children only go to adventure club at their church. but this spring my oldest wants to play baseball and thenin the fall, he wants to start playing football, as does my daughter. i read earlier where someone suggested a YMCA, that would be a place to start. also, contact your school and ask them if they have any idea where you could sign your child up for other things. good luck!!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I have 3 girls(13, 8, and 6) and all three are incredibly athletic. My oldest has played soccer since 2nd grade but took this year off to explore gymnastics( recreational) and she is is honor choir. My middle child is a competitive gymnast and is very driven practicing several days a week. My youngest has tried soccer and decided it wasn't her thing and also takes recreational gymnastics. We are lucky to have a gym were I pay only a monthly membership for unlimited classes(of course team gymnastics is a little extra).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)