Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Non Profits

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

This is a bit off topic, but not really because it relates to elementary moms and families.

As a mom, I see a lot of major issues in not only the school system that I live in, but the parenting within the system.  I have the mentality of, why run away, put your best foot forward and fix it.   For years I have wanted to start a teen pregnancy center, and family development center.  I have a lot of ideas that I think are useful to our area, but not quite sure how to get started with the business side of things such as being labeled a non profit or getting grants to pay for my office space and supplies. 

My question is, do you know of anyone who is a part of a non-profit or do any of you know where to start to do something like this? If you could direct me to someone who would be willing to walk me through, I would be so grateful! I have the programming side and marketing side of it  ready to go, just not sure where to go business wise.

Thanks for any help!

Tina

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
rkoloms
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 7:17 AM

I know that Chicago has a high school for teen moms; this may be a good route for you to travel.

The Donors Forum is a great place to start sourcing funding: www.donorsforum.org.

There is a yahoo group where you can learn about grant-writing, or you can probably take a class at your local community college. You should also look into a Masters of Non Profit management program.

Good luck; this is a fabulous idea!!

Robin in Chicago

twinsin1998
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Another avenue is your local politicians.  Make them work for you.  They should have all that information available to them and they should be able to help you walk through the process.

Momoftwinsin98

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 4, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I suggest contacting your local United Way.  They work with non-profits on a local level.  I checked our local United Way's website, and they have link called Emerging Leaders and describe it as networking for people that want to make a change in their community. 

I donate to our local United Way, and I know the money gets distributed to local non-profit organizations...some which my son has benefited from.  Since they work so closely with other smaller non-profit organizations, I'm wondering if they would be a great resource to help you get started.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 7, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I am not sure but here is a bump!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wJEKQFI/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wJEKQFI/s-weight.png[/img]
[/url]
*Sandra* Mom of 2
*Ask me about my custom made breastfeeding covers!!!*

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Another bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)