Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Anyone else's 8 year old have very slight BO??

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM
  • 21 Replies

I don't give my kids baths every day-usually every 2 days or so-well last week my 8 year old son said something like "yuck my arms smell weird" so I sniffed under his arm & there was a very faint but definite BO smell. 8 seems very young to be getting that but maybe thats normal?? He is my oldest so I might be clueless with this lol Anyone else expereince the same thing with their 8 year olds?? Also, should I buy him deoderant already?  Thanks! --Rachel

by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I noticed slight BO on my son last summer, so he was 8.5 then.  He started using women's unscented deodorant, I just thought it wouldn't be as strong as men's and wouldn't irritate his skin as easily.  Please don't tell his friend that he uses girl's deodorant though, he would be mortified. lol

He has also started showering every night since then too.  Or well, pretty much every night, we all skip it every now and again.

Mom of two boys ages 9 (third grade) and 6 (kindergarten)

drinking  baseball  playing soccer  puppy

67mermaid
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Mine doesnt have the BO but my 8 yo boy developed some black heads and we had to start using Oxy pads on his face every morning and night (per pediatrician)... So it's just part of that pre-pubecent stuff I guess.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I have noticed the same thing on my son also. He just turned 9 on Dec 28th. I have been kicking around the thought of deodrant - cant spell. I am taking him to the dr. on Monday for a yearly and I am going to ask her about it. We will see what happens.

green ribbonThe green ribbon is the color for Tourette's Syndrom awareness!!!

SheilaJean
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Both my boys were using deodorant by age 8, they had mild BO by age 6 when they played hard. Both my girls were using by age 7 at their request. I bought all of the unscented stick type men's for the boys and women's for the girls. In my opinion  when the kids or you notice BO it's time for deodorant.

As for baths my youngest has eczema and baths were recommended to be every other day by the doctor, but as of this school year she has started taking them everyday using liquid baby soap and some lotion and she is coping fine with baths everyday. I think her feeling clean is an important part of her self esteem!

fairyshyone
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Yes my 8 yr old has BO he has been using deodarant for several years. He loves Old Spice and uses the body spray also. My grandson will run you out of the room with his BO if he gets all sweaty.  

"Worry  looks around, sorry looks back, Faith looks up."
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 8, 2010 at 4:28 PM

We didn't buy our son deodorant until he was 10, but his boy age is two years behind. 

I think 8 isn't an unusual age to start using deodorant.

kylesmom
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 11:19 PM

kyle started bo at 8 

kylesmom aka Jennifer 

Join us on

Moms with Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

mbrandt1974
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 11:24 PM

My DS and DD both have BO. They both use deodorant. They were 7 when they started using it.

niehoff9
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 11:25 PM

We have an 8 year old girl who uses deoderant every day, we noticed BO last year and since the start of using it and showering almost everyday it seems to have helped, she is also developing breasts already!  We also have two little boys, 4 and 5 with horrible BO, I took them to the pediatrician because I was concerned that this was a little young, she did a bone scan to check their bone age and be sure they were not going through puberty to soon.  They are normal and she recommended an unscented deoderant for them also, they both call it stink stop, which is kind of funny, but it helps!

rkoloms
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 8:16 AM

If your child is eating/drinking conventional meat and dairy, he is being bombarded with hormones that are speeding up adolescence.

If he has an odor, get him deoderant, before his classmates start making fun of him. Please, please, please get him an aluminum free one, such as Tom's of Maine, a mineral crystal, etc.

Robin in Chicago

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN