Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Creeped out at church???

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:40 AM
  • 19 Replies

For those that don't know me, we just moved 2 hours away from our home town due to DH new job.  We just recently started to visit a new church.  Everyone seems friendly.  But one family is really giving me the creeps.  It's so bad, DD#2 doesn't want to go back.  It is mostly the father.  We've been going for about a month.  We try to attend as many church functions as time allows.  One reason for this is so that my girls will have every opportunity possible to make friends.  They were very close to their friends at our old church.  This man goes out of his way to literally push his daughter on my girls.  It's borderline abusive.  Last night we had a movie night.  His daughter was sitting behind my girls on the floor.  He physically shoved her forward so she was within a few inches of DD#2.  The girl protested and scooted back a little.  He does this every chance he gets.

The other strange thing is he keeps claiming he's never met me.  He comes up and grabs your hand, pulls you toward him and greets you.  He always says, "Hi!  I beleive we have'nt met!"  I remind him that we have met and that my DD#3 is in his Sunday school class.

Last, but not least, he stares at us during church service!  How do I know?  We sit in the back.  He turns around and watches us.  I told my husband about it last Sunday.  He thought I was nuts until he saw it for himself this Sunday.

What would you do?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randmmom05
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Well just because someone goes to church doesn't mean they are a "good" person but Im sure you already know that lol Id say something to him about his behaviour.

KyliesMom5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I think I would be having a talk with someone at the Church about this. Tell them that this man is making you so uncomfortable that you are considering finding a new church.  I honestly would be creeped out by this also.

As far as the man claiming not to have met you before, it could be that he does not remember.  My husband has a friend like that.  This guy has met another of my husbands friends many times since they were about 15 and still goes to introduce himself and shake his hand.   I am not a touchy feely type of person especially with people i don't know.  When we visit my FIL's, we go to his church and a lot of those people like to hug.  I make sure i place myself in a way that they can not pull me towards them and i also stick out my hand.  I know that is a little differant but it might work for you also.

mom20yearsapart
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I would be creeped out as well and if my husband found out about it we would be looking for yet another church. But if you like that chuch then ask some others if they have had problems with him. If nothing else tell him the truth that how he is acting makes you very uneasy.

sandie66
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Maybe the man has mental issues. Just stay in public with the man. If he starts asking if your girls can spend the night for a slumber party or go somewhere with them, don't allow it. Some people are just wierd too!! He might just be strange. How is his wife? Sounds like his kids know he's a bit off already. Is he this way just with your family or everyone at church?

srhtinker1981
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Try going to the pastor in confidence and see what he says. Other members might have had similar issues that he knows about, giving you advice.

Sarah

Bonnie
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Quoting srhtinker1981:

Try going to the pastor in confidence and see what he says. Other members might have had similar issues that he knows about, giving you advice.

I agree with this advice.

mamamisty1
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Always trust your instincts. If he is making your feel weird, I am sure there is a good reason.  I would definitely avoid him & never leave your kids alone if he's in the same building!! He sounds like a wacko.

67mermaid
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I would look at this from a different perspective..... it sounds like you have a lot of daughters and it sounds like this man is a creepster. I agree that talking to someone is definetly a good idea, but if they are trusting this guy, who  may be (in my opinion) grooming your daughter for quite possibly... weird reasons. Than I would definetly change churches. That is creepy and really, really not normal.

That said......  not to completely condemn this man I don't know.... maybe the guy has some sort of dissability..... aspergers or autism and makes it so he functions akwardly in social situations. But if you do stay, keep a close eye on him!

ErikaRobin
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Wow, Prontip, that really IS weird.  It would totally give me the creeps too.  I have no advice other than what some of the others mentioned.  Trust your gut. 

Strange...*shaking head, shudder* 

queeniamissy
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Quoting Bonnie:

Quoting srhtinker1981:

I agree with this advice.

Me too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)