Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it safe to put a child on a diet?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM
  • 16 Replies

My step-daughter is overweight to the point and past obese. She weighs what I am suppose to weigh at my age and height and she is only 8 years old. I have discussed these things with my husband but he doesn't want to hear it and I am worried about developing diseases that could kill her or even letting her sleep by herself because she stops breathing for timed increments. She weighs 135lbs. I try to be an example as far as how I eat when I eat and how much I eat. I am overweight but only by ten pounds. I was wondering if anyone has any information or ideas that I could try to use. I have tried to take artifical sugar out of her diet but to no avail. I also started calling crystal light and wal*mart's version of it koolaid which actually helps for awhile until  she was reading the package one day and noticed there was no sugar added. Then her story changed to she doesn't like it. I really need help because I want to see her when she hits 16 and she is fit and healthy and 18 when she graduates from school and goes off to college and I want to see her get married. Please help me. How can I get her dad to see what is happening to her?  Thanks for taking the time to read this.

butterfly on headWith love

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anabama
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:09 PM

If you and your husband have custody of her then talk to her doctor about it. Some kids do need to diet (my 10yr old cousin was one) but they cannot diet the same way an adult would. You have to be very careful and you have to get her co-operation. Have her doctor talk to her and explain what she is in for if she doesn't do something. Get the doctor's recommendation for a diet that you can do together so that she doesn't feel like she is being picked on. And maybe start going on a daily walk around the block. If she doesn't want to go then go without her and talk about everything you saw while you were out and how nice it felt to get out so that maybe she will want to go the next time or the next.

If she stops breathing while she sleeps then she more than likely has sleep apnea (which can be caused by being overweight) and DEFINATELY needs to see the doctor about that.

Ashley

67mermaid
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I replied to your similiar post.... but this one is a bit different. I would find out what she likes... dancing, sports ect... and get her involved. I am overweight a bit and I find swimming is what I like best so I got a membership to a gym with a pool and I go everyday if she likes dancing you could enroll her in a youth dance class. She would get to meet people and make friends and burn calories. You could find what she likes and encourage her to stick to it.

Also if she has to diet, pretty much everyone in the house has to, that's how it is with me. I don't buy ice cream, cookies, and sweets. So no one in the house gets them, or ill find them and eat them. You could hide a little stash in your room if you need some chocolate every once in a while.

Good luck with everything. I hope your husband knows how lucky he is to have found someone who cares so much for his daughter.

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Quoting 67mermaid:

I replied to your similiar post.... but this one is a bit different. I would find out what she likes... dancing, sports ect... and get her involved. I am overweight a bit and I find swimming is what I like best so I got a membership to a gym with a pool and I go everyday if she likes dancing you could enroll her in a youth dance class. She would get to meet people and make friends and burn calories. You could find what she likes and encourage her to stick to it.

Also if she has to diet, pretty much everyone in the house has to, that's how it is with me. I don't buy ice cream, cookies, and sweets. So no one in the house gets them, or ill find them and eat them. You could hide a little stash in your room if you need some chocolate every once in a while.

Good luck with everything. I hope your husband knows how lucky he is to have found someone who cares so much for his daughter.

I agree completely with this.

ErikaRobin
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Quoting Kim24kids:

Quoting 67mermaid:

I agree completely with this.

I do too. 

hill2
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Well you both need to be on board for whatever you decide. Just you won't work.....I would keep her active in activities she likes. I would not really diet unless you speak to a doctor first but make snacking healthy like fruits instead of junk. I have replaced alot of our typical snack with fruit.

Maybe dad needs to take her to the doctor and listens to what they say.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM

You have gotten a lot of good advice. I would do your best to get your DH on board. In the meantime, change what you have in your house. Get rid of the junk food. If she doesn't want the crystal like - milk or water. I am slowly improving my family's eating habits. We have lots of good snacks like almonds, cashews, apples, tangerines, etc. We have chips, but they are limited on how much. If you want chips, buy the baked not regular. Same for pretzels. That way the changes are for everyone. I have recently started keeping fruit on the counter. All of a sudden my kids are begging me for it. My 4 yr was so indescribably happy with a banana for snack I almost collapsed from shock. 

Then start taking walks together. Dance while she helps you sweep, dust or vacuum. Little steps. Because no 8 yr old should weigh what she does. Good luck!

jhelmke
by Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I agree with what the others are saying.  You need to talk to the doctor and get information. Everyone needs to be on board.  You can do healthy versions of recipes and you would be surprised how much they like them.  Talk to her and find out what she likes to do as exercise.  I meal plan with my son.   I would check out the local YMCA, hospital and health department.  Each of them in our area has classes for kids to be healthy. 

babyfat5
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I'm talking from experience. I was step mom to a morbidly obese 7 year old. She lived with us. I took her to the docs for blood tests to be told she was okay for now don't let her gain anything. She was 130 at the time. Okay for me piece of cake. I did the food shopping so I shopped healthy. Low salt so no chips or stuff like that came in the house. Water was the only kiddie drink in the house. Dinner time there was meat, veggies and a starch (potatoes bread rolls noodle side dish) she could have as many helpings as she wished of the veggies if she was hungry so I was never starving her I just cut out crap. She ate exactly as a nutritionist would have said to.
She would go home to her mother and bitch that we starved her blah blah blah and every weekend she would load up on total garbage! I mean she would no sooner be in the car and her mother would be shoving ice cream in her face. Momma called CPS on us so many freakin time for different things it was like she was throwing spaghetti at the wall hopping one noodle would stick. We starved her, beat her, blah blah blah(some of the stuff was down right funny). So even though there were 4 other kids in the house none of which complained of any of the same things she was so apparently I only starve and beat the kids that aren't mine after my kids go to bed. Any way sd went to go live with mommy. The whole year she was with us she did well and never gained a pound, was more active, and healthy. With in 2 years of her being with her mother she was 9 almost 10yrs old 165 lbs, and had AN which if you look at morbidly obese adults you will notice a black ring around the neck and under arms sometimes that is AN a precursor to diabetes and heart problems found in the obese. She has had several abnormal blood tests and the future doesn't look good for her not only health wise but there is a whole lot more to the story.

So what I'm trying to say is yes absolutely restrict the junk. Don't buy it don't bring it into the house. Buy bottled water, milk and 100% juice only. Limit the milk and juice to what is required. Baby carrots, bananas oranges and stuff like that should be your only snacks and they do NOT have to be watched or limited well besides the obvious bathroom issues too much fruit can cause. Also don't be surprised though if some stink is made like bm going to cps saying you starve the kid. I feel no regret for what I did except that I was unable to keep it up, but at least I know I did something good for the kid. Also know that if the crap isn't in the house they can't eat it. It isn't like your saying don't eat the chips in the closet because there is no chips there.

LovinSweetsMama
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM

First you need to get your husband on board with you. If you 2 aren't on the same page it won't work. Next talk to your child doct and get his opinions. Whatever the doct says follow. Next throw out all the junk and only have healthy stuff.

mirandas_mom
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Rather than a diet, how about teaching her healthy eating habits she can use for the rest of her life? Instead of chips,soda, or candy, offer fruit or veggies, water, or low sugar juices. If you have only healthy foods in your home, she will have no choice but to eat them when she's there. She can either drink the crystal lite or water. There should be no unhealthy options. 

ARE YOU FINDING IT HARD TO STRETCH THOSE GROCERY DOLLARS?

WE CAN HELP! 

JOIN US! CLICK OUR GROUP SIGGY!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)