Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time flying with kids

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM
  • 5 Replies

Need some advice and support!

Our family is flying to Washington this summer and I'm wondering if I need to know anything in particular.  First time flying for me, 11 yr old, 8 yr old and 5 yr old.  My husband has flown before but never with the kids.

Questions. . . How to keep them entertained?  What to pack in their carryon?  Special warnings?  How do I make this go as smoothly as possible without losing my mind?

PLEASE no horror stories!  I don't think I can take it!

Kim

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
hholllyy426
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:44 PM

My son was 3 when we went on our first plane ride together, it was just me and him. We were flying from MT to CA and it was going to be an all day flight. I packed him some toys, crayons and coloring book. Our second plane ride was when he was 5. During both of these trips I made sure we had at least an hour layover so that we didn't have to rush and we could eat and use the bathroom. It went really well.

Magazines, books, mp3 w/ headphones could work for the older kids, if they like to write they could take a journal to write in. For your younger one some crayons, coloring books, reading books. If you can put your 5 yr old near the window thats what I did. He was more into looking out the window and sleeping off and on than anything.

You'll be fine and have a great trip.

Oh this past summer I did a road trip with my son, now 7, driving over 1200 miles and that went really great too.

Join us on

Elementary School Kids

Group Mod

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:35 PM

First of all, if you are nervous your kids will know, and so try to stay calm no matter what.  I know that flying for the first time might seem a little scary, but it's not bad at all. 

I'm not sure how much you want me to walk through the experience.  I've flown several times with my son, and each time it's gone smoothly.

You'll want to pack a few different things, depending on your child's interest.  I usually pack paper, pencils, crayons, some small toys, Gameboy DS, plenty of games and his MP3 player.  Oh, and snacks--especially gum or mints for the ears.  I do let my son pack his own backpack for him to bring on with him, but I review it before we leave.  He's responsible for carrying it while we're in the airport.

When you first get on, you'll buckle all the seat belts, and they'll tell you went to turn electronic devices off.  You need to leave your cell phones and any wifi devices off the whole time, but they'll announce when you can bring out gameboys, MP3 players or laptops. 

c_turtle21
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:59 AM

I have flown from Frankfurt Germany to Chicago Ohare with a 9 month old, 2.5 year old and a 7 year old by my self...It will not be as scary as you think it will. How long is the flight? Bring books, coloring supplies and electronic games like a game boy and you will be fine. Oh and remember gum for take off and landings!

rkoloms
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:23 AM

·         snacks

·         books

·         games

·         crayons

·         mp3 players

·         pillows

Robin in Chicago

jlmomto2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 10:54 AM

To keep them entertained we bring our portable dvd player, nintendo ds, some books.  My kids get motion sickness so we always give them the non drowsy dramamine.  Also, we chew gum on take off and landing to help with ears popping. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)